Biles vs Douglass

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

veganmami

Proud Parent
My question is this:

With all of these comps going on before Rio, why are we not seeing more Biles vs Douglas? It always seems like one or the other is there, but not the two together. Am I mistaking?

Is Marta trying to keep them in a good mindset by not letting them compete against each other before Rio?

The rest of the AA's are essentially competing for 2nd place. Unless there are some extremely rare/mitigating circumstance, Simone's margin of victory is quite large. Even counting a fall, she'd still likely win. If would take several mistakes from Simone and the best day ever from the other contenders to beat Simone.

I agree - Simone's AA gold is about as big of a lock as Mikalya Maroney's Vault gold was in 2012. Sorry - couldn't resist ;).

It is for sure that Simone is on the team, but if she majorly messed up she is beatable. I just think it's not worth the risks to repeatedly try and see if it will happen before Rio though.

Yes...anyone can be beaten at any time. But it likely isn't worth the risk of injuring Simone to compete her too often. Maroney was pretty severely injured in London...which is a mitigating circumstance. A healthy Maroney pretty much was a lock. But vaulting in a broken bone is a whole mother story.

I think the PTB want to see how the girls hold up in international meets, they already know that Biles is a lock if healthy. All the rest are fighting for spots.

Yes...anyone can be beaten at any time. But it likely isn't worth the risk of injuring Simone to compete her too often. Maroney was pretty severely injured in London...which is a mitigating circumstance. A healthy Maroney pretty much was a lock. But vaulting in a broken bone is a whole mother story.
You can make the argument that Maroney's coaches might have cost her the gold knowing what we know about them now.

Yes...anyone can be beaten at any time. But it likely isn't worth the risk of injuring Simone to compete her too often. Maroney was pretty severely injured in London...which is a mitigating circumstance. A healthy Maroney pretty much was a lock. But vaulting on a broken bone is a whole nother story.

You can make the argument that Maroney's coaches might have cost her the gold knowing what we know about them now.
You could. But I wouldn't. She wanted to be there and compete. She injured herself in London. The only alternative at that point was the replace her entirely and I don't think anyone would have wanted that -- least of all, Mckayla.

Do you think there's any claim to the rumors that Marta wants to save this year's international showdown of Biles vs. Douglas for the Olympics? That it could be the driving narrative to draw in viewership?

I also either read or head that Marta stated that Douglas needs meets for motivation to work harder in the gym. Perhaps that's why she competed earlier in the season... She had a goal for training midway between World's and trials. She showed she could back up the hype and now she can clean up and get ready for nationals/trials, etc.

Do you think there's any claim to the rumors that Marta wants to save this year's international showdown of Biles vs. Douglas for the Olympics? That it could be the driving narrative to draw in viewership?

I also either read or head that Marta stated that Douglas needs meets for motivation to work harder in the gym. Perhaps that's why she competed earlier in the season... She had a goal for training midway between World's and trials. She showed she could back up the hype and now she can clean up and get ready for nationals/trials, etc.
No...I really don't. They'll compete against each other several times before the Olympics (Classics, Nationals & Trials). I don't think it matters whether or not it's an "international" competition or not. I'm sure those that are interested in seeing how they match up head to head will watch those competitions.

Whether the rumor is true or not, you can bet that will be a major storyline or theme in how the media approaches the U.S. Women's squad. It's a natural storyline for regular folks not intimately familiar with gymnastics to grasp on to, not to mention how little mainstream sports media follows the sport on a regular basis.

All of the girls are not going to do every comp this year. Biles and Douglas are the 2 biggest media/fan draws on the US team.(reigning world and Olympic champs) It makes sense that they kind of "alternated", one of them be at every competition to build fan support going into O's.

All of the girls are not going to do every comp this year. Biles and Douglas are the 2 biggest media/fan draws on the US team.(reigning world and Olympic champs) It makes sense that they kind of "alternated", one of them be at every competition to build fan support going into O's.

I like that point. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back