Bizarre Kip Issue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
My daughter has had her kip for about 8 months, has competed level 5 successfully, but continues to do something bizarre during her kip which is making everyone scratch their heads. She shifts one wrist and not the other, thus creating an arm bend on that arm. Any suggestions??? She is very strong, can do a cast to handstand, working giants, can hold a handstand longer than just about everyone at gym, and can do press handstands over and over, so I'm thinking it isn't a strength thing. The coaches don't seem to know how to fix it--one of her coaches suggested that it could be because her hands are really small (she is a 00 grip), and she feels like she is going to slip so she compensates? Has anyone heard of this/seen this before?

Not had this one myself, but just a thought - have they allowed her to try without her grips on and see if the problem still exists?

A girl in our gym did this for a long time.

The fix was simply spotting her over and over and over having her shift both wrists at the same time with straight arms. Literally over and over so she got the feel for it. And then they'd let her try one herself, if it wasn't correct they'd spot a bunch more.

Not sure if that would help, does she do the one wrist shift with a spot?

My daughter has had her kip for about 8 months, has competed level 5 successfully, but continues to do something bizarre during her kip which is making everyone scratch their heads. She shifts one wrist and not the other, thus creating an arm bend on that arm. Any suggestions??? She is very strong, can do a cast to handstand, working giants, can hold a handstand longer than just about everyone at gym, and can do press handstands over and over, so I'm thinking it isn't a strength thing. The coaches don't seem to know how to fix it--one of her coaches suggested that it could be because her hands are really small (she is a 00 grip), and she feels like she is going to slip so she compensates? Has anyone heard of this/seen this before?

My daughter does this as well. She shifts her right hand a little later than her left sometimes and will then have that elbow just slightly bent. For her the coach just reminds her that she shifted late again with that right hand and then she'll fix it. She's a lefty and I've often pondered if maybe she's just stronger on her left side. I don't think it's a strength issue really though. She just tends to shift her hands unevenly, but only on the low bar.

Oh and I forgot to add that I don't think it's particularly unusal. My daughter's coaches acted like they have encountered it before. She has had her kip for about a little over a year and has also competed level 5 already. She doesn't do it all the time though. For her it's just like a little lazy habit she falls into at times.

common and simple to fix. these kips are referred to as "cripple or limping kips". sometimes in gymnastics kids have to be taught to do something wrong for them to understand how to do it right.

so then, tell these kids to kip with the opposite arm first and then the 2nd arm. you just reverse what they're doing. after a dozen or so the problem goes away cause they understand what they're doing correctly and incorrectly. understand?:)

common and simple to fix. these kips are referred to as "cripple or limping kips". sometimes in gymnastics kids have to be taught to do something wrong for them to understand how to do it right.

so then, tell these kids to kip with the opposite arm first and then the 2nd arm. you just reverse what they're doing. after a dozen or so the problem goes away cause they understand what they're doing correctly and incorrectly. understand?:)

Wow! I'm going to tell her to do that today...it makes so much sense and I never would have thought of it otherwise. You will definitely be dd's hero if it can be that simple and quick of a fix! I'll keep you posted.:)

A girl in our gym did this for a long time.

The fix was simply spotting her over and over and over having her shift both wrists at the same time with straight arms. Literally over and over so she got the feel for it. And then they'd let her try one herself, if it wasn't correct they'd spot a bunch more.

Not sure if that would help, does she do the one wrist shift with a spot?

She doesn't do it with a spot and every once in a while she can do it correctly, but not very often. It seems to be her "crutch" no pun intended...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back