WAG Blind change Help - posting arm shift

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stxrdusty

Coach
Gymnast
When I do my giant blind my posting arm shifts outward. It's kinda difficult to explain, but instead of leaving my arm in one position it slides out away from my body. I have a video of a whole bunch of my blinds here: click here. Watch my right arm as a I turn to see what I mean.

What I'd like to know is WHY I do this and HOW TO STOP doing it because I think its preventing me from getting my left hand on the bar in front grip and executing a true blind full.

If there's nothing wrong with doing this (I'm pretty sure there is though) , do you have any tips on getting my left and into front grip out of the turn?

Thanks friends!

When I do my giant blind my posting arm shifts outward. It's kinda difficult to explain, but instead of leaving my arm in one position it slides out away from my body. I have a video of a whole bunch of my blinds here: click here. Watch my right arm as a I turn to see what I mean.

What I'd like to know is WHY I do this and HOW TO STOP doing it because I think its preventing me from getting my left hand on the bar in front grip and executing a true blind full.

If there's nothing wrong with doing this (I'm pretty sure there is though) , do you have any tips on getting my left and into front grip out of the turn?

Thanks friends!
Wow, first let me say what a great job you are doing, good for you!
As for the giant blind, there are several things going on (none major). :) The couple that I saw, you were starting the blind with your shoulders and not your feet (not as bad as most), ;) you then get to much of your weight (center of gravity) going away from your posting arm (right one), that's what gives you the feeling of it 'sliding away from your body'. Once in mixed grip, you have to do a major weight shift so you can turn that hand to under grip. After you do that, you aren't able to fully shift your weight back to the center. I think if you relook at your video and focus on a couple of those points, you will be awesomer! ;)
PS. I often teach blinds to mixed grip first as you are doing, but I always spot the real deal for quite a while. So not sure if your coach is up for that, but I find it really helps with the learning curve. :)

I'm not really sure what you mean, I see you sliding your right arm towards your left before the turn which is a common technique that allows you to turn across a shorter distance essentially. But I'm not sure what you mean by outward. I think if you keep practicing just the blind it would be helpful, can you blind into a front swing forward instead of turning out to practice getting your head into alignment and pushing out more? I agree if someone could spot you that could also be helpful, and is there a tramp bar or one across a tumble track at this facility?

I was ready to offer advice after watching the first go, but changed my mind as the video progressed along with your blind change work. Just keep doing them and try reinforcing a few things.......

Keep your head tucked in during the turn so it can go upside down with the rest of your body.......

Form and tight body shapes aren't just for scoring points with the judges. Tighten it all up and squeeze your legs together and you may discover the skill is easier than you think.

Just a hunch..... it seems you could turn over into a deeper (not much) shoulder angle and create more turn as you press out when transitioning from getting upside down and moving into the elevation/tap out phase.

Looks great so far! Try to keep your ribs down which will naturally pull your head into a better position.

once you grab the bar in reverse grip, instead of regular over grip, you'll solve your own problem. that slight shift is normal.

looks like no one else was there? can someone spot on top and hold your hips before you put your hand down wrong?

@Gymsanity So more toes, less shoulders. Our club team doesn't have a coach, but I think I can get my old JO coach to spot me over school break when I go home.

@gymdog I cannot front giant. My wrists physically aren't flexible enough to do that. I should work on that, though short/tight tendons do limit me a bit. We don't have a tramp bar, but I have found a way to put a floor bar at the end of the tumble track to practice hecting drills so I think that will work for what I think you're thinking of.

@iwannacoach Head in and tight shapes, got it. I don't quit know what you mean by your last point though, sorry.

@gopuckgo What do you mean? Like ribs in? 'Cause sitting here in my chair with my arms up I can see how that would get my head in a bit.

@dunno Well thank you, I had no idea that the shifting thing was somewhat normal. My goal is grabbing in front grip, but I'm not quite there yet. I thought maybe the shift was keeping me from it, but from what you're saying not so much which is totally awesome. That just means more practice with everything else I just learned from you all. :) Again, we don't have a coach and I don't think any of the other gymnasts know how to spot too well. I'll ask my old JO coach over break.

Thank you all so much! You're super duper helpful! :D

'@@Gymsanity So more toes, less shoulders. Our club team doesn't have a coach, but I think I can get my old JO coach to spot me over school break when I go home.'
Not necessarily 'less' shoulders, just make sure they aren't initiating the turn or it makes it difficult/impossible in some cases to properly shift your weight. It should feel like your toes start turning first, then knees, hips, shoulders. One thing I have my girls do is lay on the floor in a hollow position on their backs and slowly roll over to their stomachs by following that sequence. The truth of the matter is that you already have it, and just don't know it! ;) If you were spotted just a few times, you would see and feel how much easier it is than what you are doing. :)
I watched the whole video this time, and I would love to know your story. How can you be such a self motivated 'beast', and not have a coach??? Continued good luck to you, and if my motto of Effort=Results holds true, you will get this and lots more in the near future! :)

What Dunno said. Since you do not have a coach, try this.
set a floor bar against a padded wall or big block a couple inches away 5 or 6, then put a panel mat in front of the bar about the same height as the floor bar. . (Wall, then bar then panel mat)
Kick handstand against the wall (hands on the floor bar) so you are leaning your back against the wall(head in) with a slight pike. Practice piking just enough so that you can shift your weight off the wall without arching or pushing off with your head. (the pike will be approx 15 degrees from vertical) Use the weight of your legs and shoulder muscles to press off the wall, (you can dip your legs a little then open your hips to straight body to get your weight shifted off the wall). you may also have to play with the distance that the bar is from the wall or block. ,( to close and you wont be able to lean, to far and you won't get off the wall).
Once you get the hang of that, (probably take a few tries) then do the exact same thing but post on your blind arm and quarter to the panel mat, (one hand on the panel mat, post arm still on the bar). Try to put minimal pressure on the hand that is landing on the panel mat, and most of the pressure on your posting arm. (I tell my kids to pretend the panel mat is a puppy and not to squish it). Do this a bunch till you get the hang of it and make sure you are not arching off the wall or pushing off with your head/neck. Keep head in.
Then do the same quarter, but turn your hand (still putting it on the panel mat). Getting that hand turned early is key since you are shifting your post arm which makes it turn a little quicker. The post shift is one of the techniques that I use but its quick so not much time to think about turning the hand. (I also use early slide as well, you are doing both, which is fine). Do tons of drills and then give it a try. Then Back to drill until it feels natural to turn the hand right off the bar.
Hope that helps.

@coachp Thank you! I will try that tonight at practice. I have the full on a floor bar both on and off a wall, but I do think my head is out (and I'm arched for sure) and this should help.

@Gymsanity
Thanks for that little more explanation. :)
I remember when I used to do blinds more like a tap half turn (the level 4 dismount) I turned with my toes a lot and I know I barely do at all now, so I think I just need to find a happy medium. I tried thinking about initiating the turn with my toes more as versus my shoulders on Wednesday and that was an interesting experience, I didn't know how to turn. I think just need some more practice haha!

I had a coach up until the end of September when I left for college, so I've had coaching for a while, just not the past month and half. When I left I was doing super late blinds though, so giant and then wait to turn until I'm already way over the top of the bar, touching the bar with my hand, and then landing the pit. So I've come pretty far since then.

There's a long and a short answer to your question. The short answer is I just LOVE gymnastics. It's my escape from everything and if I could do it forever I would. Thankfully I have 4 years of college to do it still.

The long answer starts the same but there's a bit more of a real "story" to it.

I was actually told to quit about 1.5 years ago due to an ankle injury that wouldn't heal. It still prevents me from tumbling and vaulting even on rod floor with soft landings more than a couple times a week and keeps me from doing many beam skills. This is even after surgery. But I keep coming back because I love it. Gymnastics is worth it and I can't imagine my life without it. It'd be like taking away a part of myself.

If I do anything, I do it with all the energy I have, and I want this. I want to do gymnastics, so even though it's not fun at times and its hard and painful I'm going to come back and keep going. It's just worth it. I don't understand how some people can get this far and just lose interest and quit. It doesn't make sense to me. I just love it. I love the challenge. I want to see if I can do it. I think I can, so I'm going to try.

It's just part of my personality. That's why I took so many hard classes in high school, so I could actually get into a UC school. I just wanted to see if I could do it. The classes were challenges I felt I was capable of completing with As. So I worked until I got them.

I'm optimistic and determined and I refuse to give up. It's just not something I do. I pick my battles, and do few things, but those things I do with all my heart and I don't let others tell me that I can't do them.

I could add more, but then this would turn into an analysis of my character and actions and I don't think you care too much about that. Basically, I'm driven by adversity and I just have a deep love for gymnastics. :)

@coachp

The long answer starts the same but there's a bit more of a real "story" to it......

I was actually told to quit about 1.5 years ago due to an ankle injury that wouldn't heal. It still prevents me from tumbling and vaulting even on rod floor with soft landings more than a couple times a week and keeps me from doing many beam skills. This is even after surgery. But I keep coming back because I love it. Gymnastics is worth it and I can't imagine my life without it. It'd be like taking away a part of myself.

If I do anything, I do it with all the energy I have, and I want this. I want to do gymnastics, so even though it's not fun at times and its hard and painful I'm going to come back and keep going. It's just worth it. I don't understand how some people can get this far and just lose interest and quit. It doesn't make sense to me. I just love it. I love the challenge. I want to see if I can do it. I think I can, so I'm going to try.

Well said!!!

'Basically, I'm driven by adversity and I just have a deep love for gymnastics. :)'

And it shows!! I could see everything you have said just by watching your video. You and all the girls like you, that live and breath gymnastics, persevere, rise above, strive for excellence, sacrifice, and just flat 'refuse to loose' are the reason that I go to work everyday after all these years with a smile on my face! :) Keep up the great work, and I can't wait to see your blind full soon. :)

@coachp I tried the wall drill you described tonight. I can see the things you suggested helping a lot so thank you again. :)

@Gymsanity Thank you so much! Really, it means a lot. :D
I coached over the past summer and seeing the rec kids so excited for gymnastics just made my day. I miss my old team and those kids that I taught. Seeing them having fun and learning along the way reminds me of the reason I love this sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back