WAG Blind Change v. Pirouette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD came home last night and said they were working on blind changes on bars. I said "That's great!", then later went to Youtube to try to figure what she was talking about. I feel dumb, but it looks like a pirouette to me. Is it turning a different direction than a pirouette or just using a different grip? I think it has something to with a front grip, but just curious why you need/do it since it looks like a pirouette. I may not have been looking at the best videos. Just did a simple search on youtube.

SO, for boys...

Pirouette is when they go from front giants (reverse grip giants) to back giants. Blind change is when they go the other way (back giants to front).

I won't assume it is the same for girls....LOL. But maybe?

I thought that in a pirouette you turn left and travel to the right and in a blind change you turn left, travel to the left. But English is not my first language and I might be wrong. Can someone clarify?

A blind change is a half turn that you grab the bar in undergrip (switching only one hand), often done from a giant swing, resulting in both hands in undergrip. A pirouette is a half turn that you grab that bar in overgrip and switch the 2nd hand, resulting in both hands in overgrip, and done from either a giant or a cast.

SO, for boys...

Pirouette is when they go from front giants (reverse grip giants) to back giants. Blind change is when they go the other way (back giants to front).

I won't assume it is the same for girls....LOL. But maybe?
That's it in a nutshell but I'll add to your description......

If you know what a pirouette is think of how it works. The gymnast picks up their left hand to turn it and place it back on the bar, from a piano playing orientation to an underhand toss orientation, and then does a counter-clockwise half turn (as seen from above) on their left hand.

The same gymnast, who pirouettes on their left hand, would do a blind change by picking up their left and turning counter-clockwise on their right hand.

A blind change is a half turn that you grab the bar in undergrip (switching only one hand), often done from a giant swing, resulting in both hands in undergrip. A pirouette is a half turn that you grab that bar in overgrip and switch the 2nd hand, resulting in both hands in overgrip, and done from either a giant or a cast.

Thanks so much! Very interesting. So to put it in simple "momma" terms - they both turn the same direction but the gymnast just grabs the bar differently after the turn. I guess that's why they look so similar.

For girls, a blind change is often a giant that turn 1/2 on the way up towards the top. The Pirouette is from the HS or a cast often in L8. Cast and turn at the top or on the way up.

That's it in a nutshell but I'll add to your description......

If you know what a pirouette is think of how it works. The gymnast picks up their left hand to turn it and place it back on the bar, from a piano playing orientation to an underhand toss orientation, and then does a counter-clockwise half turn (as seen from above) on their left hand.

The same gymnast, who pirouettes on their left hand, would do a blind change by picking up their left and turning counter-clockwise on their right hand.

Perfect. Love the visual. I found myself picking up my hands and doing it as you explained.

Is the blind change more difficult that the pirouette? It seems to me that it should not be (which means it likely is:rolleyes:)

The 1/2 pirouette is often a L8 skill, the blind giant a L9 skill I think.

I ask because DD is prepping/working on a combo that includes both (giant to front giant to back giant again)

A blind change is one of those skills that gets another name because it's more descriptive. On the one hand, it's a pirouette because a pirouette is a turn. On the other hand, there's a few different ways to do a turn and it's kind of a good thing to have different names for all these types of turns.

A blind change is called a "blind" change because you can't really see where your hand is going to be placed. The skill is used to get into front giants and does require some shoulder flexibility. Pirouettes- as your in a handstand you turn one hand the other direction but in the end you end up in a regular handstand position. For blind change you end up in a different grip on the bar with your hands facing toward you instead of away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back