Blinds on Strap Bar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
So, I was watching random YouTube videos and this came up:
[video]http://youtu.be/wYQA4aXtu7o[/video]

Obviously only one hand is strapped in. It looks like she's still swinging on PVC pipe (but not a very wide one). Has anyone else ever seen this? I never have, and I wouldn't have thought the straps would still hold well, or that the other hand wouldn't slip off, although I guess she doesn't go over on most of the attempts. I know how to strap in in reverse grip, although to me it only works well in gloves and not on PVC pipe (although maybe the smaller diameter ones work better). I know using gloves is controversial so I haven't really done it as a coach, but we used to always do it when I was a kid. I've never heard of or seen only strapping one hand in to do turns.

Disclaimer: I am not about to go try this and don't recommend it without someone experienced in this drill and a spotter, just curious.

It's an excellent drill ... for ADVANCED gymnasts. We used it a lot for Blind, Pirouette and 1-arm giants, back in the era of 1-arm giants. But I'm not sure the girl in the video is ready for the drill, as yet. She should still be spotted until able to show form and technique.

Still doing the drills shown by Mizoguchi in this video.

[video=youtube;rO_D8s8ZF6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO_D8s8ZF6M[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Thanks Rick. I saw you posted that other video on your blog. I have never seen the use of this and my "feeling" was that I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing it on PVC, but that I would do it with gloves (which I realize now is somewhat controversial itself, but I will say I've never felt like my hands couldn't slide on the bar in tight fitting gloves).

That PVC pipe also looks to be a more narrow than "usual" diameter, as many gyms have them to be a similar diameter to the uneven bar. I find it difficult at that diameter to use strap in an undergrip. Maybe someone has some comments on that.

I would probably not have any gymnast do this without spotting.

We always used to do this alone...it worked great. HOWEVER...I have not and will not allow any of my gymnasts to do this alone...just too dangerous. Your arm can get twisted some crazy ways if you miss.

EDIT: And if I'm going to spot...they don't need to be in the straps.

Last edited:
We always used to do this alone...it worked great. HOWEVER...I have not and will not allow any of my gymnasts to do this alone...just too dangerous. Your arm can get twisted some crazy ways if you miss.

EDIT: And if I'm going to spot...they don't need to be in the straps.

Okay, so I guess this was kind of my initial thought too, but having never done it or seen it done I really wasn't sure. I am not really planning on using it at all particularly, but I would find spotting a must because it would be difficult to bail if the turn was off or the hand slipped, since once hand would be strapped in.

That PVC pipe also looks to be a more narrow than "usual" diameter, as many gyms have them to be a similar diameter to the uneven bar. I find it difficult at that diameter to use strap in an undergrip. Maybe someone has some comments on that.

To me...the purpose of strap bar is to do things that you wouldn't normally be able to do by improving grip, decreasing friction, and saving the hands. By using a larger PVC pipe...grip is not really improved. Small pipe or cotton gloves = more skill development.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back