Blood Blister and cut on wrist

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
Well, it was a good few years of no rips, but today dd came home with a huge blood blister probably an inch in diameter) in the center of her palm. it seems like there is a lot of thick skin on top of the blister, so when it blows, it is going to be a huge hole. What is the best way to deal with this? (of course she has a meet next weekend) Do we drain it? or let it be?

Also she has about an 1 1/2 inch slice on her wrist from her grips. She wears wrist bands, so I am not sure how this happens, but it keeps bleeding.

Looking forward to reading you advise.

When does she have practice next? Blood blisters will often dry up on their own with a few days off bars and no further irritation. Bursting it can lead to infection, so if you do choose to go that route, keep it clean and monitor it carefully.

For the cut on wrist from grips I suggest washing the wrist bands (unless she is opposed to this as many are) then get new ones. I find that when mine get really chalky they slide and my grips end up cutting as the wrist bands isn't around the top of the grip any more.

Have you tried the neoprene wristbands? They seem to stay put better that the cotton ones. Once the blister is healed/dried and your dd gets back on the bars- you can try using pre-wrap under whatever wristbands to offer a bit of protection for the cut. Good luck!

Next practice is Monday. Do you think it will pop at practice on Monday if we don't pop it at home? If it pops on Monday, it might not be healed by Sat for the meet. Maybe we should pop it tonight, clean it thoroughly and hopefully it will be healed by Sat. Opinions please!!!

hold on here...there is nothing wrong with 'popping' that blood blister. it is the lesser evil. put a flame to the end of a needle. make a hole at the top and bottom. then push the blood out both holes. then cup the hand. pour some hydrogen peroxide in to the palm. the two holes will soak it in in nothing flat. leave the skin in place as it is the best 'bandage'.

if you leave a blood blister to harden, the next time they work bars they will suffer a palm rip. and change her wristbands. the're dirty and full of chalk and that is what causes them to slide around and away from the grip causing the grip to cut in to the wrist. or...get neoprene bands as the op said.:)

i wanted to add that these sorts of problems are forever old. and you can't find these tips in medical books or emergency rooms. and some sound bat crazy sometimes...but they work. they have been practiced by gym professionals for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dunno. Blister is popped and we used the hydrogen peroxide. She read your post and has reluctantly agreed to the new wrist bands that have been in her bag for about 2 months. It looks better already. The flap of skin on top is already drying out.

of course...what a great place to keep brand new and clean wrist bands...in the gym bag!:) LOL!

no, you do not take it off. your own skin is the best band aid that there is.:)

Really? I get blisters like that like all the time, and I've always taken the skin off ASAP. That's what we've always done...huh. learned something new... ^^

Long ago, my daughter's coach told the girls to use Preparation H at night to keep rips from occurring.....supposedly it reduces swelling where the blister might begin?

Also, Vitamin E, which we recently found in a bottle, so no more popping those capsules every night!

My daughter rarely gets rips, so maybe this is really working?!

But I do now think I should get her to replace her wrist bands...she's had them for months and I've never washed them (oops!!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back