Body Position after Layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After you land a bhs back layout to 2 feet or fhs punch front to 2 feet I noticed that gymnasts then do a "lunge". Is this to absorb the rebound from the landing? My daughter just had her first L7 meet and I noticed she does not do this. She had a small hop after her fhs punch front tumbling pass landing, but no extra hops on the bhs back layout.

Will she get a deduction for the extra hop? Does this "lunge" pose hide this?

A gymnast must show control on the landing. Sticking the landing or showing a controlled lunge will mean no deductions. The lunge is really a hold-over from the old days when gymnasts danced right out of their tumbling but is still acceptable today. A hop out of the landing shows a lack of control and balance and will get deducted.

At my gym we are supposed to lunge and finish out of our tumbling passes. It looks weird sometimes. Wouldn't that show less control that you have to lunge?

My HC told me that to reduce injury/ stress gymnasts might be encouraged to lunge (or dance) out of tumbling passes in the future at all levels (as they used to). That would make sense from a 'leg & back wellbeing' point of view.

Some people don't like it from an aesthetic point of view and some people don't like it because it can cover a less controlled landing.

Anything that reduces injury and keeps gymnasts well for longer is worthwhile - that makes sense to me.

Female gymnasts are allowed one controlled step (lunge) with out deduction at the optional level. (Its a leftover look/ tradition from the past.) Gymnast are also allowed NOT to lunge, just finish in control and finish w/ the arms up.

I dont mind having my athletes lunge- I feel like it helps them tumble higher and more aggressively. Of course, if they are high and aggressive and stick- thats even better- we train both.

Oh and to answer your question, a hop or taking more than 1 step are deductions. .10 for a small step or hop or (I believe) up to .40 for multiple steps/ stumbles.

At my gym we are supposed to lunge and finish out of our tumbling passes. It looks weird sometimes. Wouldn't that show less control that you have to lunge?

If you're off balance and HAVE to lunge, i.e. if you didn't lunge you'd have to take a hop or step, you would get a deduction. If you could have stuck the landing and then chose to lunge for aesthetic purposes (or to lessen forces on joints), that would not be deducted. The key is controlled lunge versus non-controlled lunge. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

Hi

I don't think that doing a lunge out of a tumble will prevent or help reduce injuries. Predominantly because first you have to stick to 2 feet than step out to Lunge. After which point you have absorbed the peak force point which is where injuries occur. If you step out of the tumble as you are landing, this is usually to make up for over ration or under rotation and you will get deducted.

I would have to see some true evidence to suggest that lunging helps prevent injuries. Its actually dangerous to say this because is miss interpreted a coach could understand that you land to one leg so that you can step forward or backward into alunge, which is clearly dangerous. to say that by lunging you will prevent or reduce the incidence of injury is at this point anecdotal, and should be point out as such.

agreed - thanks for your technical know how!- I remember gymnasts used to sort of jump or bounce to lunge definitely from 2 feet rather than stepping to lunge. Would that make a difference? Would encouraging gymnasts to dance out of tumbles make a difference. I would think that it might put them off balance which could be dangerous. My club doesn't teach to lunge after tumbles. Has the OP asked why her club requires them to?

From what i have heard in the new COP it is encouraged to do dance out of tumbles so.. like handspring front, rebound to stag or something.
The rebound out of tumbling to lunge is probably my preferred option, but it also won't do a great deal for injury prevention, but could help with reduction in landing deductions..like in MAG many gymnasts rebound into roll out skills or into a front support.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back