WAG Body types and strengths?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l_gymnast

Gymnast
I am a stockier more powerful looking gymnast but I am better at dance and have more artistic and flowy routines, this causes a dilemma where the artistic dance and skills don't look that great when I'm doing them since I do not have the best lines. The biggest issue with my lines are my legs as they do not extend much past a straight line but my toe point is okay. Does anyone else face this issue? Is there anything you can do to create the illusion of longer lines?

Nah. 'Artistic' doesn't necessarily mean long flowing lines. Better find a dance style that suits who you are. :)
As for the technical side of the dance elements, just keep working hard at correcting mistakes there. Concentrate on correct positioning of your arms, legs and torso. Isolate your legs in order to work on straight knees. (Trampoline jumps, kicks, kicks with resistance etc.)
Btw straight is perfectly fine for your knees, any extension past straight is bound to be prone to injury rather than to help a lot with execution.

Nah. 'Artistic' doesn't necessarily mean long flowing lines. Better find a dance style that suits who you are. :)
As for the technical side of the dance elements, just keep working hard at correcting mistakes there. Concentrate on correct positioning of your arms, legs and torso. Isolate your legs in order to work on straight knees. (Trampoline jumps, kicks, kicks with resistance etc.)
Btw straight is perfectly fine for your knees, any extension past straight is bound to be prone to injury rather than to help a lot with execution.

Okay thanks!! I definitely focus a lot on form especially posture. I have huge thighs that tend to make things look clunky but maybe it's a mental thing. It's strange to me that I have such large muscles that seem to be no help with power since I struggle with power.

You may want to review some NCAA meets, a lot of them have a body style which sounds the same as you describe yours

My body type is slug and I get along fine :)

I have actually been complimented on my form and movement - even though I, like you, have very large thighs and an even larger behind :p. I don't know how it would work in competition, but I do know artistry and dancing have very little to do with body shape, and much more to do with presentation, confidence, and suitable choreography.

I like to work within my abilities. I have nice extension, a good toe point, and pretty decent arm movement, so I pick moves which make those things look good. I don't hold balletic positions, because those just look a bit dodgy. With unclear lines, I've found the best strategy is dynamic, continuously flowing movement.

Your other option could be looking at modern types of dance like hip-hop. Did you see Siphons DeJesus' routine, which went viral a while back? Super fun and and engaging, no lines required, still looked awesome.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter much. If you watch NCAA routines, there are all styles of dance performed very competently by all body types. As lon as you're having fun and working hard, that's all that matters!

Good lines aren't so much about body type as they are about posture and training. A lot of people with good toe point don't just naturally have it...they have to practice to get it, just like you have to practice to get your splits if you're not naturally flexible. Of course, some people just naturally have good lines. But that doesn't mean others can't improve as well! You could take a dance class if you want to work on your presentation. Ballet or modern especially.

@azara we have tried some hip hop routines and I have the rhythm of a 45 year old dad but my routines are definitely not ballet like. I try to do stuff like you described such as always moving and pick a music that is powerful yet is able to have dance go along.

Good lines aren't so much about body type as they are about posture and training. A lot of people with good toe point don't just naturally have it...they have to practice to get it, just like you have to practice to get your splits if you're not naturally flexible. Of course, some people just naturally have good lines. But that doesn't mean others can't improve as well! You could take a dance class if you want to work on your presentation. Ballet or modern especially.

I'm actually oddly extremely flexible and struggle with power. It's like I have the opposite of how things tend to work. It is pretty strange. I used to do ballet training for gymnastics and would totally love to do it again. I definitely think a better presentation would help a lot! Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back