WAG Bonding

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymsanity

Coach
Proud Parent
When my girls do something big, scary, courageous, nice, or safe, they get to put a marble in the jar. When the jar is full, we all go and do a fun activity. We went ice skating yesterday, and had a blast. It is really nice to be able to bond with the kids and parents outside of gym. It gives both sides a chance to interact in a whole new way. It's way too easy to get narrow vision and see only gymnastics, but the truth of the matter is they are little girls (as brave and talented as they may be) that just want to have fun like everyone else. They look so cute in their street clothes. Does any other coach have trouble recognizing gymnasts when they aren't in their leos? I can see a class girl in a leo and tell you who wore that leo 12 years ago, yet run into them outside of gym and go 'who are you'. ;) The girls loved to see me out of control and out of my comfort zone. I looked like a new born calf trying to walk, so they had lots to laugh at! That's ok, I got the last laugh. I told the girls ahead of time that they would have to do 250 mushies back at gym every time I fall. I looked like the president surrounded by a whole detail of secret service! I couldn't have fallen if I wanted to! Ankles and legs are a little sore today, but hey, I never fell once!
Just a reminder of how wonderful these kids are, and how lucky we are to be a part of their lives.

You sound like an awesome coach! :)
I, as a parent, have trouble recognizing the girls outside of the gym. I don't think it's what they're wearing as much as that so many of them look totally different with their hair down.
What you said about the leos made me smile. We do a "used leo" sale every fall, and while a few extra bucks in our gym account is great, I think the best thing about it is continuing to see DD's leos in the gym, even when she's not the one wearing them. There are a few we've kept for sentimental reasons, and a while back on CB a graduating gymnast (I think? Or maybe her mom?) posted a video of all of her old leos and it made me weepy and think that maybe I should have saved them ALL, but I do love seeing "little" girls enjoying DD's old leotards.

MWM, I put in a request to the mods who know how to do such things to move or delete your post. Not a problem. :)

We just organized a circus lesson in the local circus school for our 8 year old's group and they absolutely loved it! We hired a circus teacher and he taught the girls amazing fun circus stuff. The girls were all so thrilled they couldn't sit still for a minute, they all giggled and bounced around for two hours. In the middle of the class I even started to worry they'll all drop gymnastics and start doing circus instead!

With our 12-13 year old's group we went to fun park (indoors play ground) and they had SO much fun also!

With our 14-15 year's old group we went to fancy restaurant and had a nice dinner. They loved it!

My old teammates and I graduated a few years ago and we still organize nice dinners and have parties to watch gymnastics on tv when we are all home from college! Our coaches don't come as often as they did when we were still on the team but they still come to see us old farts occasionally! It's really nice to still have those old teammates as friends! Some of them are in their mid twenties and we still all get together when we can.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back