Books by Dominique Moceanu

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Not her biography that's coming/came out recently
I just got chapter books by Dominique at Sams. They had them in packs of 2. About $7.50 per pack. They are written/geared towards the tweeny/early teen level. But if they are good readers..they can handle it at a younger age. (Kadee will be 7 next month..but she is an avid reader and is doing well with them)
But just wanted to let everyone know...just incase anyone was looking for an inexpensive set of gymnastics books.

Dd has really enjoyed these. She usually reads older teen books, but these interested her.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I read 2 of them on my Kindle, even though my kids are too young for chapter books, and I was pretty impressed with how well written they are for tween/teen literature. I think the target audience is probably around 11-12, the age that the characters are supposed to be. I think tween gymnasts would love them, especially since the girls are junior elite and Moceanu actually stayed fairly close -- not exact, but close -- to reality as far as qualifying for elite, training camps, classics, nationals go -- something I bet most young gymnasts (at least those who are not actually junior elite) would find really interesting in a kind of wish-fulfillment sort of way. I know I would have eaten these books right up at that age.

I read them, but did not let my DD (age 8) she is able to read them skill wise, but I thought they were too mature in subject matter. I thought the books were good, and will let her read them when she is 10. I guess there are some topics in the 1st book that I am not ready to "go there" with her yet- namely eating disorders. Plus, the main character in the 1st book's character development was complex, DD has never read and is not familiar with To Kill a Mockingbird and in general I felt like them message would be lost on my DD and the girl would just come off as mean.

I got all 4 books for my dd, who is 11. After pre-reading bits and pieces of each book I was a bit hesitant to even let her read them, even though I know that is the age the books are targeted it. In the end she read them all and loved them, but we had to have some serious conversations about some things and she came to me several times for clarification on parts. My 7 year old dd really wants to read them but there is no way I would ever let her, even though she reads at a 5th grade level. Just because she can read the words does not mean she will understand what they are talking about and she is not mature enough to handle some of the heavier topics that are covered. When she is 11 or so she can read them then. I do think they are great books, but not for younger kids really.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back