Parents Booster Club Bullying

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh--you mentioned the money raised this year going towards this year. We actually don't do that--money we raise this year goes towards next year. Why? We have to set a budget and obviously we can't know what to spend if we don't know how much money we have. (although I know people who do that--heck, our government included LOL!)

I would actually think this is ok, my issue is that there was NO money from last year to use this year AND they seem to want to hold on to this money for the future. The way your gym does it seems fair, there is money to use for the girls that are there and they are "paying back" that money through fundraising. I guess since I pretty well know that we won't be back next year I feel like we are getting cheated by having to raise money that won't benefit her ever.

I know you say you don't want to move her because of the "start up" costs in another gym but I don't think other gyms would HAVE such "start up" costs for Level 3...in our gym (and the 2 we have previously been in along this journey) Level 3 or preteam had little to no costs but the tuition...I think they all bought a leo for 30 bucks for the end of the year shows but that was about it...when (or if) they competed, it was in that leo and the cost was minimal for these little meets. Look around as i think you'd be surprised...I'm not saying that the tuition they charge is outrageous but the fees and fines and fundraising are out of line for the Levels (3-5) that you mention...

Well if they are a true booster club and are listed as a non profit none of what they are doing is by the book and honestly some one could turn them into the IRS or state if they continue to work this way.

Even though I had to be the devil's advocate, I'd like to agree about the competitions for Level3's. Our Level 3s have 1 competition (very small) at the end of the year, they borrow a leo owned by the gym, and the meet fee is $25.00. So, it's low key, and all the fees are lower. We also don't have fines for not showing up to a fund-raiser.

Good luck to your daughter. I hope she has an enjoyable year, and I hope you get your mess straightened out. Hopefully, it's growing pains, and things may shake out to be better if the president of the booster club and the HC get enough feedback.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we took y'alls advice and tried a different gym. She LOVED it! Apparently she hasn't been totally happy but didn't want to say anything because she was afraid she couldn't do gym. We are taking a step back and doing training team since she doesn't totally have her kick over and can't do any of the bar routine without a spotter. The training team gets to do inter-gym meets, but they only compete the things they are ready for so there is a little less pressure. She is THRILLED that the class Leo is shiny and has hot pink on it! Basically, I think this gym will meet our needs much better than the other one even if we were able to work out the booster club problems. Thank you so much for all the advice on this thread and by private message, you helped me to make a move that I was hesitant to make and I can't wait to share how she does at her first inter-gym meet and also to cheer on all of your gymmies too! The other gym was surprisingly nice about us withdrawing, and we might even get some of our money back from the booster club. Not holding my breath, but cautiously optimistic!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we took y'alls advice and tried a different gym. She LOVED it! Apparently she hasn't been totally happy but didn't want to say anything because she was afraid she couldn't do gym. We are taking a step back and doing training team since she doesn't totally have her kick over and can't do any if the bar routine without a spotter.

This is great to hear! Glad everything worked out fine.

Good to hear. It's also great that you were able to recognize a "step back" as a step forward... To a place where your daughter is happier and the environment is saner. I hope you asked about their $$ policies! Good luck on getting your money back. If you paid for leo, gym bag, etc. they had better give you either the money or the stuff. At least you could sell the stuff and get some of your money back. Now go take the $50 you would have paid for the missed meeting and do something fun!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we took y'alls advice and tried a different gym. She LOVED it! Apparently she hasn't been totally happy but didn't want to say anything because she was afraid she couldn't do gym. We are taking a step back and doing training team since she doesn't totally have her kick over and can't do any of the bar routine without a spotter. The training team gets to do inter-gym meets, but they only compete the things they are ready for so there is a little less pressure. She is THRILLED that the class Leo is shiny and has hot pink on it! Basically, I think this gym will meet our needs much better than the other one even if we were able to work out the booster club problems. Thank you so much for all the advice on this thread and by private message, you helped me to make a move that I was hesitant to make and I can't wait to share how she does at her first inter-gym meet and also to cheer on all of your gymmies too! The other gym was surprisingly nice about us withdrawing, and we might even get some of our money back from the booster club. Not holding my breath, but cautiously optimistic!

This sounds so much more like a L3 program...having fun, low key, not bankrupting the parents (yet!)...always good to be able to cut your losses and move on...good luck! Hopefully your booster club nightmares are behind you...

That's awesome news! So glad you found a place that she can be happier at and you are happier with the financial policies!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back