Parents Booster Club Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
How many of you have booster clubs or parent associations where the gym appoints a portion of the board members??

I have been told this is very common, but as I see it - if the parent group is a non-profit and a for-profit (the gym or it's coaches) appoint board members, those board members would be acting essentially on behalf of the gym & not the parents, which seems to shift the interest of the non-profit.

Let me know if you have board members appointed by your gym or if all of your board members are elected by the parents.

Thanks!!

They say they are "elected" but actually the gym owner selects everyone he wants on the board and then those people are presented at the meeting and we all "vote" for the people he has selected (of which there is only 1 for each position.) So, there is a "vote" for the records, but we really have absolutely no control over who is actually elected. :mad:

They say they are "elected" but actually the gym owner selects everyone he wants on the board and then those people are presented at the meeting and we all "vote" for the people he has selected (of which there is only 1 for each position.) So, there is a "vote" for the records, but we really have absolutely no control over who is actually elected. :mad:

I'm sorry kayjay - not really much of an "election" - are you guys a 501(c)(3) non-profit??

Same as gymmommie owner is non-voting member.

Same for us. Board members are elected, and the owner is some kind of honorary or non-voting member. I've been on the board for 2 years now, and I don't think the owner has been to more than 1 or 2 meetings at the most.

Is this just a case of no one ever putting their hand up for the jobs and the gym owner has taken to being proactive and getting people for positions before the meeting to ensure the jobs are done? This always happened to my mother, what ever activity my siblings and I did as children, she was always scouted for whatever parent board/committee they had.

Is this just a case of no one ever putting their hand up for the jobs and the gym owner has taken to being proactive and getting people for positions before the meeting to ensure the jobs are done? This always happened to my mother, what ever activity my siblings and I did as children, she was always scouted for whatever parent board/committee they had.

Nope. We are supposed to have a board representative for each level (except level 5, which are the newest team members) on the board. We have now finished our L6 year and I asked a couple of months ago about a rep for L6, since we hadn't heard anything. The gym owner said that he had someone in mind but wanted to get the approval of the rest of the board before asking that person. He said "frankly, we really couldn't think of anyone they wanted to ask" but I guess he finally found someone "acceptable" (i.e. compliant). He then asked that person and she accepted. I assume we will "vote" in our next meeting.

It even says in our contract that the board members are selected by the gym owner and then voted in by the membership.

And yes, we are a 501(c)(3) corp. There are probably lots of things that we do that violate that. The problem with bringing that up is that my child will then likely be asked to leave the team. I like the team & gym and don't want to leave.

The shame of it is that if the owner and booster club were a bit more transparent & willing to do things the right way, it probably would end up being better for everyone.

The shame of it is that if the owner and booster club were a bit more transparent & willing to do things the right way, it probably would end up being better for everyone.

How true. I have long wondered how many booster clubs - gymnastics and others - are actually in compliance with the rules regarding 501(c)(3). In case you are curious, check out the IRS webiste. Google IRS.gov/501c3 and read the rules. If the club were to be audited, there could be problems for those who are not.

How true. I have long wondered how many booster clubs - gymnastics and others - are actually in compliance with the rules regarding 501(c)(3). In case you are curious, check out the IRS webiste. Google IRS.gov/501c3 and read the rules. If the club were to be audited, there could be problems for those who are not.

I've read a LOT of things all over the internet that would indicate that many are NOT. We have a tax lawyer on our board of directors so we are always in compliance whether we want to be or not! LOL But in all serious, she is a invaluable resource that would be sorely missed if she were to resign.

Thanks everyone for your responses - Not sure if I will win this one as the new board has the mindset of "we can do anything we want - eventually it will blow over" :-/ I'm certainly going to give it a go though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back