Both feet on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
I didn't want to hijack gymgym's post, so I thought I would make one too. In general, do you guys find it easier to land with both feet together on beam? Because I am having a heck of a time of landing with one foot in front, b/c my heal almost always lands on my toes. But I am afraid to land with both feet together too, because I am afraid of slipping(the problem with being an adult and doing this I think, b/c sometimes I put WAY too much thought into this). Tips, pointers? Or just get over it and do it? I am going to give it an attempt tomorrow night, and i will let you guys know how it did or did not turn out, but in the mean-time, any suggestions are more than appreciated!

Depends on the skill I think. Do you have a specific skill in mind?

I never have my feet side by side for anything. I've never had a lot of trouble stepping on the back foot for two foot BHSs or jumps, but back tuck/layout, front tuck, and ROs left my left toenail permanently bruised for a couple of years. I don't teach both feet together either, even with smaller kids I think it's still better for them to have one foot slightly in front (not necessarily lined up). Landing with both feet side by side doesn't allow for "ball-heel" landings very much, and tends to throw off balance.

I don't feel comfortable with both of my feet together on beam.
but I also cant do 1 in front of another.
I have my main foot in place and then the other foot's heel is right beside the middle of my main foot. (if you get what i'm saying)

Just do what your comfortable with, unless you coach is making you have your feet together. That would be so hard to do :(
Goodluck and tell me how you went :D

Yeah, not so much last night lol. I didn't really even feel comfortable STANDING with both feet together, let alone trying to jump up and LAND with my feet together. I think I will stick with one foot behind the other, and simply work on not landing on my toes

When i was little i could fit both feet together on the beam. But as i got bigger we had to learn to stand one foot in front of the other.
I find it really akward to stand one foot all the way in front so i just have one foot slightly in front. Some times it just takes a while to get used to it.
It usually doesnt last forever

I stand with my left foot a bit in front so that my left heel kinda fits with my right arch.

I made a picture. :)
2hsawoz.jpg

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back