WAG Both Legs Are My 'Good Leg' Problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymk8nyc

Gymnast
So... I have a big problem. I don't have a 'good leg'. I do sideways sills (roundoffs, cartwheels, side aerials, etc) on my left leg. But I do straight skills (front handsprings, front & back walkovers, handstand skills, front aerials, etc.) on my right leg, I also step out with my right leg.

I have splits on both legs but I prefer my right leg when doing splits and I do leaps and jumps with my right leg, however I pull a needle with my left leg and the left side of my back is more flexible I think.

The problem is, when I was in rec classes no one corrected this issue, so I got really advanced on both legs. So I basically have a side aerial with my left leg and a front aerial with my right leg. This causes some problems with things such as cartwheel-back handspring on beam and other related skills that involve connections like this.

I'm currently Xcel Gold, but I will be moving to JO soon (Level 6). Will this be a problem as I advance or can I work around it?

The beauty of Optionals is that they are just that - optional.
It CAN be worked around. It just takes creativity.
At Level 6 it can easily be worked around by doing flight acro on beam, thus not needing a connection ... and doing ROBHSBT or similar on floor.
As you get into higher levels, it can still be worked around. Just don't "mix" skills ... or learn to switch legs mid-air (YG did HS, switching the leg for the stepdown for her cartwheel ... never competed it, but was working on it).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back