Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

BOYCOTT, Stolen Dreams of the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Here is an interesting book that I saw on the USAG website today. Below are the details.
BOYCOTT, Stolen Dreams of the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games
By Tom Caraccioli and Jerry Caraccioli
FOREWORD BY VICE PRESIDENT WALTER F. MONDALE
Published, May, 2008

With a thorough exploration of the political climate of the time and the Soviet Union’s invasion of Afghanistan, this book describes the repercussions of Jimmy Carter’s American boycott of the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow. Despite missing the games they had trained relentlessly to compete in, many U.S. athletes went on to achieve remarkable successes in sports and overcame the bitter disappointment of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity dashed by geopolitics. The book is written by identical twins and sports PR superstars Tom and Jerry Caraccioli. Tom is the president of Lions Roar, LLC, a communications and public relations firm, and a former executive for NBC and USA networks. Jerry is a television network executive in the CBS Sports division. They are the coauthors of Striking Silver: The Untold Story of America's Forgotten Hockey Team.

If you would like to buy this book, go to our "Gymnastics Books" page and click on the link.

Attachments

• boycott.jpg
    boycott.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 38,912
Last edited:
G

gracefulone

Was it Christy Heinrich or something like that who got screwed in these games? Then she died of an eating disorder later on...

I could be mixing my stories up, though.

all-aroundgirl

Aug 26, 2008
Texas
It was sad that the 1980 Olympics were boycotted. They had their reasons, but there is one story that is pretty interesting.

Dave Dennison was a swimmer training for the 1980 games. After the games were boycotted, like many other athletes, he grew and his body changed so he could not participate in the Olympics again. A couple years ago, he was in a skiing accident, and is know paralyzed waist down. He went back to the sport of swimming, and made in the Paralympics this year, in two relays.

Pretty sad.

emorymom

Proud Parent
Oct 10, 2008
It was sad that the 1980 Olympics were boycotted. They had their reasons, but there is one story that is pretty interesting.

Dave Dennison was a swimmer training for the 1980 games. After the games were boycotted, like many other athletes, he grew and his body changed so he could not participate in the Olympics again. A couple years ago, he was in a skiing accident, and is know paralyzed waist down. He went back to the sport of swimming, and made in the Paralympics this year, in two relays.

Pretty sad.

Dave Denniston was born in 1978, right?

dunno

Coach
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Club Owner
Apr 28, 2009
Was it Christy Heinrich or something like that who got screwed in these games? Then she died of an eating disorder later on...

I could be mixing my stories up, though.

no, it was not christy. regretfully yes, she passed away from an eating disorder.

Sunobo

Jun 10, 2010
The members of the women’s 1980 Olympic Team were Luci Collins, Marcia Frederick, Kathy Johnson, Beth Kline, Amy Koopman, Julianne McNamara, and Tracee Talavera.

Status
Not open for further replies.