WAG Bra problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
The first competitions are coming up again.. We start with teamgym, so having no attire deductions is a bigger deal here than at the individual, artistic competitions. Last year I didn't participate in these, because I was injured so I never had this problem before.

The problem is that the only bra that gives me enough support to do gymnastics is racerback-styled. Our Leo has this 'circle', so it always showed up. I took the deduction so far by just wearing a black one that matched the back, but I want to not have it with these for the team. I've inserted a pic of the back of the Leo, how I've worn it in artistic competition can be seen on my profile pic.

I haven't been able to find any nude with reasonable shipping costs, and I'm allergic to tape so that is out of the question too.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC02327-944x1024.jpg
    DSC02327-944x1024.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 160
Hey Jard,

I always thought, that showing underwear is just a deduction for US gymnasts, they have it specifically in their Code.

In the "normal" Code de Pointage there is no deduction for underpants or bras (just jewelry and colored bandages. For us it's always an exam question: what do you deduct, if the bra strap is visible. Correct answer: nothing...

I had a look on the Code of points for Teamgym... nothing, just jewelry and bandages. What always helps at competitions, ask the judge to show you the deduction written down in the Code. When they can't, they can't deduct. (Best option, go to the headjudge before the competition or write a mail.)

Cheers
Zivaah

Edit: it's insane to forbid showing bras even if they are not skin colored. The black one fits perfectly! I would wear it like this.

Hey Jard,

I always thought, that showing underwear is just a deduction for US gymnasts, they have it specifically in their Code.

In the "normal" Code de Pointage there is no deduction for underpants or bras (just jewelry and colored bandages. For us it's always an exam question: what do you deduct, if the bra strap is visible. Correct answer: nothing...

I had a look on the Code of points for Teamgym... nothing, just jewelry and bandages. What always helps at competitions, ask the judge to show you the deduction written down in the Code. When they can't, they can't deduct. (Best option, go to the headjudge before the competition or write a mail.)

Cheers
Zivaah

Edit: it's insane to forbid showing bras even if they are not skin colored. The black one fits perfectly! I would wear it like this.
Good to know! I have heard judges talk about underwear showing in the gymnasts I coach and them taking deductions for that, I assumed that applied to bras as well, it might also be that the team does not wear exactly the same they deduct for? (I'm clueless on teamgym, so I'll ask one of the judges about the regulations)

Now I forgot about the bandage. I have only one with enough support and that is blue, so it won't matter much anyways.

If bra showing really is a deduction, 2 options to keep using your current bra:
1. Flesh toned tape on the back of the bra ... after you have it on so someone would have to help to make sure the part showing is covered with a little extra covered just in case the leo "moves" during competition.
2. Find a way to attach a flesh toned fabric panel to the back of the leo that will cover the hole and a little more. A seamstress might even be able to attach it to one side of the leo while still making it easy to get on and off (I noticed the neckline and you wouldn't want to prevent it from opening).

For the blue bandage - I am guessing it is a brace, but either way, 2 options:
1. Prewrap and flesh toned tape over it to cover the blue - keeping the tape off you (I am also allergic to tape)
2. A slightly bigger, less supportive flesh toned brace over the supportive blue one - if it doesnt FULLY cover the blue, use tape to cover the gap. I only say go bigger so it won't get too tight since it is going OVER, your measurement would be bigger ... get the size that corresponds to the new measurement or an adjustable one size fits all version.

If bra showing really is a deduction, 2 options to keep using your current bra:
1. Flesh toned tape on the back of the bra ... after you have it on so someone would have to help to make sure the part showing is covered with a little extra covered just in case the leo "moves" during competition.
2. Find a way to attach a flesh toned fabric panel to the back of the leo that will cover the hole and a little more. A seamstress might even be able to attach it to one side of the leo while still making it easy to get on and off (I noticed the neckline and you wouldn't want to prevent it from opening).

For the blue bandage - I am guessing it is a brace, but either way, 2 options:
1. Prewrap and flesh toned tape over it to cover the blue - keeping the tape off you (I am also allergic to tape)
2. A slightly bigger, less supportive flesh toned brace over the supportive blue one - if it doesnt FULLY cover the blue, use tape to cover the gap. I only say go bigger so it won't get too tight since it is going OVER, your measurement would be bigger ... get the size that corresponds to the new measurement or an adjustable one size fits all version.
Thank you for all the ideas! In artistic, I just took the deduction, I'll definitely try!

Sewing some nude mesh or lycra over the circle will probably be the safest and longest-lasting solution, if you have access to a sewing machine. Just cut out a circle in the right size (measure the size while you're wearing it to account for the curvature of your back - you don't want to make it too small!) plus a seam allowance and stitch it using black thread. Maybe go around a few times and use a good-quality thread to avoid any mid-competition mishaps.

It's ridiculous that there is even a deduction for a bra strap showing. What are girls with larger busts supposed to do? They often can't choose their leotard because it's decided by the team. I can understand the deduction for showing bra cups or for visible underwear as that indicates the leotard is not sportive enough, but straps showing? Heaven forbid the sport is made accessible to a wide range of people >.<

azara makes a great suggestion! I would just add that you should use a wide zig-zag stitch (if need be, you can do this by hand). if you use a straight stitch, the fabric will stretch but the seam will not, so it will rip.

You could also try eloflex thread (a stretchy thread), but I don't know if it is available in your country

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back