WAG BRAG ALERT - Finally got my Korbut on high beam!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I finally did my Korbut on the high beam with no spot yesterday :D Really exciting for me because I finally have a flight skill that I can't wobble on. I know I need work on my form, but hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. First one ever! This was towards the first few I did.

giphy.gif

My Korbut

Congratulations, the Korbut is one of my favourite skills to watch.

A question I've always wanted to ask: does it hurt? Lol

Congratulations, the Korbut is one of my favourite skills to watch.

A question I've always wanted to ask: does it hurt? Lol
Well, I suppose if you do it wrong it does hurt ;)

But seriously - if you do it right all of the force and momentum gets transferred into your hands, and you sort of do a handstand roll down, which doesn't hurt at all.

Summary: If you do it right, no.

:D

Asking for a gymmie who has trouble landing her BHS - how much more difficult was it to learn to "land" the Korbut than a BHS?

Asking for a gymmie who has trouble landing her BHS - how much more difficult was it to learn to "land" the Korbut than a BHS?
Personally, I found it easier to land than a BHS because 1) Your center of gravity is lower and 2) even if you mess up a little bit, you can grip the beam with your hands / legs a little bit to help you.

But the approach is completely different than a BHS.

Obviously, I'm not one to speak, but when your hands hit, they're supposed to be straight. Then you have to bend the and bring your chest to the beam. You also want to undercut your handspring a lot, and make sure you arch a ton. You also need a lot less momentum, and WANT less momentum.

Additionally, while I didn't have too much trouble with it, a lot of my friends did a ton of belly flops while trying it. :D

Progression:

FLOOR:
Handstand roll to chest
Slow BHS (2 feet) to knees
BHS to chest roll

BEAM
floor beam - try it w/ a sting mat - it feels different, and if you do it wrong the first time it knock the wind outta ya.
Floor beam w/o sting mat
Low beam w/ or w/o a mat doing chest rolls
Low beams w/ that sort of mat that wraps all the way around the beam (I can't think what it's called, it's the yellow on in the video)
High beam with a resi under, w/ the mat
High beam w/ the mat, w/ a spot
High beam w/ the mat, w/o a spot

Then, this might vary, but I plan to go straight to high beam w/o a mat. You need to get rid of your momentum through the swinging of your legs, and the low mean stops that.

If your DD has a decent BHS, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn. Just make sure you learn both so you don't mess up the technique for the real BHS

Tips:
  • Make sure you exaggerate the arch
  • Try to stop in a handstand
  • Work lots of them on the floor first! ;)
Check out these videos:

See how in her korbut, she doesn't swing back like you would for a BHS? She squats lower, and swings slower, and focuses on going up.

Summary: Yes, it was much easier for me, but not necessarily for everyone. I think it'd work for your DD

Continued from above.

Here are some more examples of good Korbuts:

This one is great, this is what you should aim for:

Lots of rhythm and power, but doesn't kill herself when she lands^

Not the best, but still pretty good:

She needs to arch more^

Could do with getting a little higher:

Pretty decent:

See how she stops in her handstand? ^

and eventually, your DD can upgrade to this C (?) skill!

Continued from above (yes, I know, so many videos :D But since you can only post 5 videos in one message, I have no choice)

Some more good examples:

c12e572918a57a12d2679a1fd8df81aa.gif

Korbut in college gymnastics

And upgrades pt 2 ! (it's not a dead end skill as some would make you believe)

Yurchenko Loop

Xiaojiao at 0:41 ish

This one comes down to the side of the beam ^

and 0:38

This one comes down to the middle of the beam ^

Rufolva
f044b8d76204511a7816c297758d5f15.gif

Thank you so much!!!!
Any chance you're looking at being a coach later in life? You seem to really enjoy the explanations, and know what you're talking about ;)
That would certainly be fun! I happen to know a lot about this particular skill because no one at my gym had ever coached it, so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Here are some videos of the progressions I did:

giphy.gif

Floor beam w/o mat

giphy.gif

Low beam w/ mat

You can see the higher the beam got, the shorter my BHS flight was. That's what you want to aim for. (Also, notice my legs got more and more bent? ;) That's not good)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back