Brag Alert - TOPs Testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

iggy1988

My 9 yr old DD just finished her first ever TOPs test early this evening. She has been working very hard on this because she was almost obsessive about qualifying to go to National Training Center at the Karolyi Ranch in Houston.

Last year, 62 was the cutoff score to be invited down to Houston. Her score looks to be around 75. For those who are interested, her scores were:

20 meter run - 3.18
presses - 10
right leg split - 14
left leg split - 10
hand stand - 30 seconds
cast handstands - 7 points
vertical jump - 17.5 inches
rope climb - 8.5 seconds
leg lifts - 20
shoulder flexibility (bridge) - 5 points

Sept 24-26th is the National Testing.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW congratulations. My little DD just started in TOPS in February...and um, we can't even DO most of the skills yet! (we did get the rope climb this past week though!);)

Congratulations Cait! All of your hard work has paid off. Way to go!

Thanks

Thanks for the responses so far. She is so excited. She had some dance lessons this morning to start preparing for the skills portion of the national test. The skills are level 7-8 skills. She is going to have to work very hard over the next two months to be ready for that portion of the test...

Madigym,

Have her stick with it if she wants to. It has been so beneficial for Cait in her development as well. She has gotten so much stronger as well as gained a lot of confidence..

Sean

what sort of things do they have to do for the skills portion? I have only recently learned what TOPS is, and I would love to have more info. DD is 9, so I know next year will be her last year to qualify.

snowbound

Snowbound- you can fins the skills detailed on the usa-gymnastics.org website under women, then tops

Iggy- she def made it to national testing.

Snowbound- you can fins the skills detailed on the usa-gymnastics.org website under women, then tops

Iggy- she def made it to national testing.

Thanks Dadingym,

We think so as well.. I did make a mistake on her vertical jump. It was actually 16.5 not 17.5 like I orginally posted. One of our friends at the Gym whose daughter qualified as a 10yr old said she might be closer to 77 points instead of the 75 I thought..

My 9 yr old DD just finished her first ever TOPs test early this evening. She has been working very hard on this because she was almost obsessive about qualifying to go to National Training Center at the Karolyi Ranch in Houston.

Last year, 62 was the cutoff score to be invited down to Houston. Her score looks to be around 75. For those who are interested, her scores were:

20 meter run - 3.18
presses - 10
right leg split - 14
left leg split - 10
hand stand - 30 seconds
cast handstands - 7 points
vertical jump - 16.5 inches
rope climb - 8.5 seconds
leg lifts - 20
shoulder flexibility (bridge) - 5 points

Sept 24-26th is the National Testing.:)

I changed the vertical jump to the correct number

what sort of things do they have to do for the skills portion? I have only recently learned what TOPS is, and I would love to have more info. DD is 9, so I know next year will be her last year to qualify.

snowbound

You can test until you are 11, so she will have a few more years to go...:)

I understand now. The skill part of the testing is very intense IMHO. My DD and I were going through it today and her coach highlighted the skills that she will need to work on very hard in order to get them by Sept 26th...

She will be 10 before the next test, and the way the dates run she will have to test as an 11 YO.

Snowbound.

Congratulations how exciting and a trip to the ranch! That's huge!

Congratulations how exciting and a trip to the ranch! That's huge!

Thanks. Apparently Parents aren't allowed to watch the testing so it looks like we will have to walk the grounds looking at the animals... LOL:)

wow!! congrats to her. sounds awesome. my daughter just started the tops program in march and had her first test in june. she has her second test tommorow actually. she is 7 and she only scored a 55, which was decent i guess for her first time. i am thinking maybe next year she will do well. i am wondering, how do u figure the points out? like how will i know how many pts she gets for her sprint and what not? congrats to your daughter and good luck in september!!!

wow!! congrats to her. sounds awesome. my daughter just started the tops program in march and had her first test in june. she has her second test tommorow actually. she is 7 and she only scored a 55, which was decent i guess for her first time. i am thinking maybe next year she will do well. i am wondering, how do u figure the points out? like how will i know how many pts she gets for her sprint and what not? congrats to your daughter and good luck in september!!!

55 for a 7 yr old is not a bad score at all. I am sure she will continue to improve. As for the scoring, it really is a guesstimate on the timed events. What I do to get an approximate is place a value of 5 points on the average score for that event. For example, the average time on the 20 meter run for 9 yr olds was 3.42 seconds for 2008. Any time near that I give 5 points to. The fastest time last year was around 2.79 seconds. My daughter ran a 3.18 which is probably around 7-7.5 points.

Does that make sense? You can find the spreadsheet that gives last years averages here:

:: USA Gymnastics :: Women's Elite-Pre-Elite-TOPs

Thanks for the good luck comment as well. I hope your daughter did well today...

Awesome! Good for her! Those are some great scores. I have a question for you. Do you know how points are awarded for the run, vertical jump and rope climb? I would like to know how many total points my daughter has and those are some of her best scores (well except for the rope - yikes!). I'll post those eslewhere, though. :) Congratulations to your daughter on a job very well done!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back