Parents Brand New Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

paigeagpaigeag

Proud Parent
We knew we would be switching gyms after this past season and my daughter has fallen in love with a brand new gym in the area. However, something about it being brand new has me hesitating. Has anyone had experience with a new gym and how did it turn out? Thanks!

We went with a brand new gym once. So new that they didn’t even have their building complete when we joined- they were renting space in another gym. For us it was mostly a disaster- the building took almost a year longer than expected and the commute to the rented gym was over double for us. Plus, as it got closer to actually opening it became clear that my daughter would be kicked out of her training group and put in Xcel. They had made that clear by the time we left- that they just let her on JO for the money because they needed it. The coaching was solid, the parents and girls nice- and they’re finding success now.. but in the end no one wants to know they’re just $$, even when they are. If the gym is already open and somewhat established, I would be willing to give it a go, but never again with something that isn’t all the way open already.

Reactions: sce
I agree with @MILgymFAM see if the gym is established. And then look at the coaches who are coaching in gym. Find out where they came from and what level gymnasts they have trained and their results. That way you will be able to see if they are capable of taking your gymnast through each level. Especially see if the coaches have trained higher level gymnasts as a lot of gyms open with only one or sometimes even no coaches who have trained higher level gymnasts and by the time their gymnasts get to a higher level they are only learning how to train the harder skills themselves. It’s not necessarily bad but if your coming from a gym with experienced coaches then you would notice a massive difference

My DD switched gyms not quite two years ago to a gym that had only been open for one year at that point. We have been very happy. The HC was well-known and very experienced (having trained all the way up to elite in the past); She had left another gym in the area (it was expected; no drama) with many team gymnasts following. The biggest concern for my DD was the space; Although totally functional (except for the pit which was under construction) it felt sparse. Thankfully, the HC has invested a ton in the gym over the last two years, and it now looks great. Lots of quality equipment, pit, trampoline, rod floor, two full spring floors, and separate rec gym. I think a majority of the rec classes are now full and waitlisted. Xcel team is thriving. And we continue to be happy with the JO team experience. To the point made by @MILgymFAM -- I think it is possible that several girls were accepted on to the JO team early on that might not have been a good fit long term.... I have seen a few struggle, leave or move to Xcel.... but can't say it was all about the money. I suspect that things like this happen in well established gyms too.

To me the key is high-quality coaching, a core group of committed families, and owners who are willing to invest money in the space/programs.

To the point made by @MILgymFAM -- I think it is possible that several girls were accepted on to the JO team early on that might not have been a good fit long term.... I have seen a few struggle, leave or move to Xcel.... but can't say it was all about the money. I suspect that things like this happen in well established gyms too.
I’m sure that it can happen organically anywhere. In our case, we were very clearly misled. We were very transparent about my DDs gymnastics and they knew each of her seasons. Said they wanted her anyway. As soon as the plans were finally in place to move to the permanent facility they told her she’d have to leave her training group (the one they knew we specifically sought the gym for) and that they wouldn’t be letting her buy the JO uniform. That is how we knew they planned to dump her back in Xcel. It all came together with the 3-4 hour a day commuting to be the time for DD to quit altogether, but yeah.. it wasn’t organic.

@MILgymFAM -- I hope you know that I was definitely not doubting your experience! You always have a very clear picture of what's going on (which is why you are such a valuable resource on CB). I was just trying to evaluate your comments in the context of our personal experience -- saying it was possible the same thing happened in a few cases, but not nearly as obviously as in your case! Sorry if it came off wrong.

We are at a newish gym. Ours got bought out. New owners are actually much stronger coaches than our last ones, so it worked out. Definitely need some patience to go through the process with them. Logistics were very disorganized at first - schedules were late, leos were late, payments got screwed up, lots of coach turnover, etc. Expectations and rules seem to change each year as they become more defined in their long term goals for team. At the end of the day, if you love their philosophy and approach to coaching, it'll be worth it

We are at a newish gym. Ours got bought out. New owners are actually much stronger coaches than our last ones, so it worked out. Definitely need some patience to go through the process with them. Logistics were very disorganized at first - schedules were late, leos were late, payments got screwed up, lots of coach turnover, etc. Expectations and rules seem to change each year as they become more defined in their long term goals for team. At the end of the day, if you love their philosophy and approach to coaching, it'll be worth it

This is important to consider. We are not at a new gym, but we went through a sale to new owners and coach switch a few years ago. It took probably 2 years for the dust to settle. Be aware that a new gym is going to have A LOT of dust to sift through as it gets started. Not necessarily a bad thing, but like gymdoc stated above, you have to love the philosophy and approach and be willing to stick it out as they get their feet on the ground.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back