Breakfast food ideas?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
My dd hates breakfast. She will drink a carnation instant breakfast drink (full glass of milk- calcium), but it is a major protest for anything else and sometimes a struggle just to do that. She has 4 hour morning practices so this is an issue. I don't want to get into power struggles with her in forcing her to eat, yet I know she can't possibly maximize her workout without fuel. They really don't take a break for a snack at the gym. Ideas anyone?

Peanut butter and jelly on a waffle
Yogurt smoothy
Eggs with cheese
Grilled cheese
Waffles with yogurt on top

I am not a morning eater either so I feel for her. I have a hard time eating anything before about 10am. Just the way I have always been but with morning practices, your dd has to have some nutrition.

If she will drink a carnation, then I would make your own smoothie with plenty of protein (pasturized eggs - egg beaters or protein powder), fresh fruit, milk. The carnations are ok vitamin wise but they are full of sugar (or substitute sugar if they are the "sugar free" kind) and they will not give her long term energy she will need.

You might also talk with the coach and ask if she can take-5 after her first rotation to eat something.

Yogurt!
It might not be much better than the carnation, but it is easier to manage in the morning for someone who is not a morning eater.

I am exactly like that! I also love instant breakfast and it's one of the only things I can always have in the morning. Other than that, I've found that I go through phases where there are a couple specific things that I will feel like eating for breakfast. Right now it's either honey nut cheerios or blueberry eggo waffles with butter :p Basically I've realized that I have to just go with whatever I will eat at the time, whether it's healthy or not, because I'm sure a not-so-healthy breakfast is much better than no breakfast at all! I would try to get her to think of one or 2 things that sound good to her in the morning and just buy those, no matter what they are, until she moves on to the next thing.

I can relate to not feeling hungry for breakfast--I am not a big fan of traditional breakfast foods. This may sound crazy, but the things that appeal to me in the morning are cold pizza, a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, mashed potatoes/grits with cheese, soft pretzel with cheese or peanut butter, trail mix or granola, some almonds and a cheese stick and any kind of fruit-fresh, frozen or dried...I am sure this sounds gross to most people, but eating donuts or pancakes/waffles in the morning grosses me out...and I am not a fan of soggy cereal either-lol

Maybe a frozen banana in the blender with the Instant Breakfast? Maybe a spoonful of peanut butter too? And let the coach know about the issue. If you do pack a few quick-and-easy snacks, the coach may be able to give her an extra minute to eat something after a rotation.

I remember hating breakfast when I was a pre-teen, the only thing I could stomach was a blueberry muffin and bacon. I wonder if stocking her up on a high protein snack before bedtime would help?

My daughter doesn't like to eat a lot in the morning either. She will eat more if I give her something to snack on in the car, like dry cereal or those little graham cracker shapes. We also microwave her Carnation Instant Breakfast to turn it into hot chocolate so she will drink more of it.

Bolthouse farms has both a chocolate protein and peach breakfast smoothie drink that contain a good amount of protein (and taste good.) DS will drink these plain or I will blend them for him with some yogut and ice (or yes, even frozen yogurt, ice cream, or sorbet) More protein and (a little) less sugar than the carnation.

Everyone's already covered it, but I'll add a twist- GREEK yogurt. The extra protein is great. Blending it with milk and fruit will be healthy and less like "eating".

My little sis hates breakfast, I don't get why. I usually make a smoothie the night before, put it in the freezer. In addition to that, I eat something quick, like an apple, orange, or if I have time, watermelon. Since it's summer now, my day starts earlier than middle school does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back