Breaking in Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4inches

Gymnast
Last week my coach said I should get grips and I ordered some and wore them to practice yesterday. I am an old level 6 and now in Xcel and have never used grips. When I woke up the next morning the space between my thumb and index finger was really sore and throbbing. My wrist was also sore, which I can attribute to the straps being to0 tight. But why would my hands be so sore?

New grips rub "funny" because the leather is rougher. I often get a lot of wrist rips when I get new grips. the finger whole are also usually to small when you first get grips, so you can either deal with it or try to enlarge them slightly with sandpaper or the smaller peg that's used to change the bar setting (mean the short little one that you just pull out if you're trying to lower a rail, does that makes sense?). If you can get your fingers in the holes I'd advise just leaving them though as they will stretch out as you use them and you don't want your fingers to fall out of the holes.

When I started wearing Palm guards (for when my hands are ripped up), the edges of my fingers were so sore from the finger holes! They weren't to small just rubbed funny! Eventually you'll break them in and they won't hurt!

When I started wearing Palm guards (for when my hands are ripped up), the edges of my fingers were so sore from the finger holes! They weren't to small just rubbed funny! Eventually you'll break them in and they won't hurt!
New grips rub "funny" because the leather is rougher. I often get a lot of wrist rips when I get new grips. the finger whole are also usually to small when you first get grips, so you can either deal with it or try to enlarge them slightly with sandpaper or the smaller peg that's used to change the bar setting (mean the short little one that you just pull out if you're trying to lower a rail, does that makes sense?). If you can get your fingers in the holes I'd advise just leaving them though as they will stretch out as you use them and you don't want your fingers to fall out of the holes.

Thank you both for your replies :) but it's not that my fingers are hurting, it's more of the muscles (?) in between my index finger and thumb, like the meaty part.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back