breaking in new grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nasticsISlove 72

i just got new grips because i just figured out the the ones i had were like 2 sizes too big. i got those grips along time ago, and i have forgotten how to break them in again. do you have any tips??

i also just recently got a new pair of grips.
what i do is fold them the way they would be folded when you wear them and leave then like that. anther thing is if your finger holes are too small put some sandpaper around a pencil and rub the bottom of the finger hole until its big enough

i also just recently got a new pair of grips.
what i do is fold them the way they would be folded when you wear them and leave then like that. anther thing is if your finger holes are too small put some sandpaper around a pencil and rub the bottom of the finger hole until its big enough
My friend also uses sand paper to cut down the holes,
and she also wears them around the house just watching
T.V and streeching and moving her hand the way she
would with the bars and such! Hope that helps.

Just do tons of tap swings on bars to break them in. They're going to feel a whole lot different than your old ones, because they'll be a lot smaller. Good luck!

new grips

I found a very useful trick by accident. My DD used mitt oil. The kind you use on baseball gloves. She wrapped them and and put a rubberband around them put them in a cotton pillowcase and rubberbanded it closed. She put them in the clothes dryer for ten minutes. This softened the leather and she did tap swings after a week they were ready. She folded the grips downward the way you hold your hands when you are tapping. She has velcro on her grips so she wrapped the velcro around to hold the leather in place.. It is hard to explain but thing of it like an accordion being folded. hope this helps....:rolleyes:
She just got new grips also. We like to have an heir and a spare.

Just do tons of tap swings on bars to break them in. They're going to feel a whole lot different than your old ones, because they'll be a lot smaller. Good luck!
Magnafique anwcer!

When i first got grips i did a heap of tap swings and back-hip-circles. these really help aswell cause it ges your hands used to the grips as youre breaking them in. just a tip, DONT WASH THEM. my friend did and they shrunk to doll size.

grips

when i first got grips i started by geting a broom stick (or circular object) and moving my hands around the end of the broom stick and starting to shape my grips. that way when i got to bars/gym my grips were more comfterble and i could spend more time on skills rather than working in my grips.

hope this tip helps :)

Its very easy to break in grips. All you have to do is tap swings, tap swings, tap swings, tap swings, and guess what else! tap swings! haha

I know that people that don't really care about their grips being broken in will just hop up and start doing giants. Also another good way to break them in fast is toe circles.

One thing my DH did to help break in DD's grips was to "work" the leather. He just sat and rolled and unrolled them and flexed the leather back and forth and folded them accordian-style and back. That really seemed to help and DD didn't have any trouble with using them right from the start.

I leave my grips for the whole practice, on bars. But make sure you face them the right way! haha we've done it the wrong way before and you have to start all over, very annoying

Tap swings. tap swings. tap swings. and yes more tap swings. haha lots of tap swings work well. Wearing them around the house is good just be careful that you don't get anything on them. Also if your finger holes are too small then you can used sandpaper or you can put it on the small tightening thing on the bars. you know the thing that makes the bars wider? the tightening knob? that is what we use at gym.

I might or might not have dipped them warm water and let them dry until they didn't repel water anymore. That might or might not violate the manufacturer's warranty, but then again any use of water does and I know I'm not using just chalk on my grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back