Parents Bridge kickover to bhs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, Beans coach came back from congress with new drills for bwo but has decided to let her compete bridge kickover to bhs. I am assuming the hope is to get her over whatever issue she is having. Thoughts? In my mind, I see the deductions adding up but most likely less than a fall [emoji1] anyone ever done it this way? DD seems much happier and more confident post practice. The tuck jumps and split leaps were the best in a long time. Its interesting how working with her issue had now given her more confidence and a smile [emoji7]

So, Beans coach came back from congress with new drills for bwo but has decided to let her compete bridge kickover to bhs. I am assuming the hope is to get her over whatever issue she is having. Thoughts? In my mind, I see the deductions adding up but most likely less than a fall [emoji1] anyone ever done it this way? DD seems much happier and more confident post practice. The tuck jumps and split leaps were the best in a long time. Its interesting how working with her issue had now given her more confidence and a smile [emoji7]

For level 7? I haven't seen a bridge kickover on beam but the most important thing is getting that connection for it to "count" as a series. My daughter had a major block over back walkovers for 7 & ended up starting the season with a handstand to BH. Personally I hated it because there was no requirement on how long they had to hold the handstand & scoring seemed very arbitrary on whether a judge would deem it being held long enough. And if those feet move at all between skills you can kiss the .5 for series goodbye. But I digress LOL.

Doing the handstand bh series for competition while continuing to train the back walkover bh eventually worked and with two meets before state she finally competed bw bh series. Around that same time she also finally got her giant - another big mental block. She'd been competing, oh heck I forget exactly, maybe a free hip on low bar & then kip cast to flyaway on high bar. She grew several inches that year so that threw things off but the mental blocks in 7 nearly did me in (because I so badly wanted to "fix" things for her but know I can't!) But, we survived, she moved on to 8 & then this upcoming season will do 9.

If doing the bridge kickover lets your daughter move on & not stress about her series (which it sounds like it has) then go for it. She can still work on the back walkover bh series & one day things will just click. :)

I don't think I have ever seen a bridge-kick over in a routine! It's not a very "pretty" skill, but if it does the job for your DD, then great! My DD will probably do handstand step down bhs this year. She has the backwalkover but putting the connection up on high beam is not happening! Like everything else, the skills will come when they are ready, thankful for coaches than can work around things!

ah the series. it's got a hold on my dd too. she can do bhs/bhs on low beam. but high beam??? ugh. she'll do a HS/BHS with no issues at least but our gym doesn't allow that as a series this year (they did last year). our first meet isn't until mid-december so she does have time. i think she just needs to do it once. from what i hear, her dismount is a running RO/BT. to me that's even scarier. lol

she can't do a consistent straight BWO to save her life. on or off the beam. it's 50/50 whether it will be straight or not. BHS though - very rarely falls and never fell once in competition on a single one last year as a 6.

i don't even know how you do a bridge kickover to a bhs. is that like tick/tock to bhs??? another girl is doing a FWO to BHS b/c she can swing her arms in the bhs. this same girl did tick/tock last year instead of BWO or BHS.

She grew several inches that year so that threw things off but the mental blocks in 7 nearly did me in (because I so badly wanted to "fix" things for her but know I can't!) But, we survived, she moved on to 8 & then this upcoming season will do 9.

ugh - this move from lvl 6 to 7 is enough to throw me off of gymnastics completely. dd has not had a hard time progressing really. she had some issues on her jump to high bar and then last year with cast to flyaway she swore she'd never get it (loads of tears) but ended up competing vertical CHS/flyaway all season.

this jump to 7? i'm like, fine quit (i didn't say that to her). i could use a new car (i didn't say that to her either). she was so down on herself that one coach said it was like she was defeated just walking into the gym and crying, so much crying in and out of the gym. we took a week off for vacation and she seemed to be in a better place mentally last week and this week. and now we have 2 full weeks off starting on saturday (we opted out of gym camp week and then the gym is closed). all over just the beam series and then, for some reason, her giant, giant flyaway which she had been doing as her full lvl 7 routine. she did it in june at the year end show.

so i'm glad to hear that things worked out for your gymmie! i think what i learned is that my dd needs some mental breaks away from the gym. they paired down the meet schedule so it's not as daunting as it's been the last two years. that will help a lot. and i've talked to her coaches and they are like, if she needs a day off, take it. i've learned my gymmie can actually do better at the gym if she's had a little break.

Would any of you ladies be willing to show me a video of what your kids are doing? I can not figure out the HS to BHS. Not sure what thr tick toc is either but I am sure Bean does.

i don't know if this version counts in competition. this is how some of our upcoming level 6s learned to do a single bhs on beam but they aren't allowed to do it in competition

This whole mess has created a backwards block on beam. She is doing the bridge kickover/cartwheel connection. Not sure if this is allowed. Will find out when she goes back to gym. Maybe if the pressure goes away....I talked to her about going back to a lower level....one can imagine her reaction.

I hated the HS-BHS series too (DD did it her first season of L7). BTW, the hs hold time is 2 sec, per several judges I know and have personally asked in a coach capacity. :) At least in our region, that is what the judges are looking for.
We are getting a bit more creative with series this year (a new optional coach to help HC out) and I really like some of the new combos, tictoc-bhs being one of them.

I don't think I have ever seen a bridge-kick over in a routine! It's not a very "pretty" skill, but if it does the job for your DD, then great! My DD will probably do handstand step down bhs this year. She has the backwalkover but putting the connection up on high beam is not happening! Like everything else, the skills will come when they are ready, thankful for coaches than can work around things!
I am HOPING that bridge-kickover means handstand bridge kickover (aka tic-toc). Then it CAN be pretty.

Reactions: sce
This whole mess has created a backwards block on beam. She is doing the bridge kickover/cartwheel connection. Not sure if this is allowed. Will find out when she goes back to gym. Maybe if the pressure goes away....I talked to her about going back to a lower level....one can imagine her reaction.
At L7, as long as she adds a flight element somewhere else AND she can connect the BKO-CW then it is allowable.
For Platinum, YG is looking at a HS-switch leg in the air- step thru to HS as her series ... at least until she gets her CW solid enough to connect to something. We arent going backwards on beam - EVER! lol

I'm really sorry your DD is having this mental block! It can be so frustrating for her and us parents! My dd got injured by doing a flic flic on beam last season, she fell and fractured her ankle! So when she came back from injury she too had beam MENTAL block. It stunk! The coaches had to scramble before season started to find something she would do on beam for a series. ( level 7 ) She ended competing a bwo-bwo .. and man I can tell you that getting the connection points varied at meets! It was so annoying because she never fell, and always without pause connected the two, but judges were really really tough some meets. When she did get the connection which was half the time she scored in the 9.4 to 9.675. Thank goodness that block is gone ( still shows some signs of timidness )... I just want you to be ready for the "connection" judging ..

my kiddo is still working on hers. she did tell me she did her BHS series on high beam with the blocks up close to the top of the beam. i was pleased to hear she'd made it off the low beam. haha. baby steps....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back