Parents Bringing in your own coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

He didnt ask how she wanted to spotted. He asked how should this skill be spotted?

She has had a boy coach coach her in
the past subbing for a sick coach and it was great.But he used to coach women's.He was great.

Anyways , something isn't right, 9 out 12 now have injuries and are not competing , not one moved up.

It isn't just the boy coach thing, what is being coached by a woman's coach can't be spotted on floor or beam or bar because they are not physically able to so.

There is no choice but to stick it out until the season is over.

It isn't just DD, it is all of them, everyone is frustrated the gymnast and the parents. I have a pretty good hunch that there will be an en masse department at the end of April.

DD Dr. is a former Elite gymnast. She said the correction was wrong as did the owner. He isn't allowed to coach vault now.

Instead if working the skills they needed to move up over the summer he had them doing stuff like the pommel (spelling?) because doing some of that into their beam routine s would be cool. A patent said something after two weeks and that stopped.

I think it lack of a cohesive program.

It isn't just DD, it is all of them, everyone is frustrated the gymnast and the parents. I have a pretty good hunch that there will be an en masse department at the end of April.

Where will everyone be moving to in April that they couldn't move to right now? I get not wanting to change things up mid season and possibly losing the season, but also consider what if they move gyms and turn their seasons around. This is obviously a special circumstance it ins't just a gymnast not liking her coach, their is no qualified coach at all.

I would be seriously considering moving now even if it meant not being able to compete the rest of this season. I would be worried that my kid might get hurt without proper coaching and safety is my #1 priority. I'd also be worried that there may not be room for a different gym to take all of the girls from your team if they all leave at the same time.
Sorry that you are dealing with this. Best of luck to you in figuring out what to do.

Everyone is making super good points. DD wants to compete, all she sees is time off and getting behind. Taking three months and no conditioning would not be great.
I'm not exactly if it is a USAG rule or if it professional courtesy, but from what I understand gyms won't even talk to you until the season for that level is concluded.

I really don't think it is DD. Everyone was progressing and happy until the woman's coach left. D D got to move up but hadn't finished learning a key skill. Then we had the first in pommel horse and then she got injured and didn't come back fully until December or early January. For her it could be said it was the injury.
But there is a high level Optional that did well at Regionals last year but is having trouble in qualifying for state this year at last year's level. She didn't have any injuries. She didn't get to move up because she didn't get to finish learning things either. So now it is like she is going backwards.
3 of the 9 injured have been X-rayed and MRI d , no one can find anything. I am starting to wonder if they are fear based phantom injuries.
Anyway, thanks for all the feedback. I'll repost in April and let you know what happened.

Something is off about this whole scenario.... injuries galore, no competent coach, a “high level optional that did well at regionals having trouble making states”....

YOU are the adult in the room who needs to make the adult decision to pull your kid from there for SAFETY reasons and be done with it it . I would not care if my kid “wanted to compete “ this season ... we do not stay where it is unsafe, period.

Gymnastics injuries can be catastrophic even WITH good coaching and spotting , and you have neither... you are setting your child up for disaster by continuing on this path and it is very disturbing to watch...

We had a girl leave our old gym mid-season and went to an extremely competitive gym. She trained but was not able to compete that season. So, I'm pretty sure that there is no rule against it.

I don't know if a gym will not talk to you during the competitive season. The only way to find out is to actually try. If you explain the situation, they may be more than happy to accommodate your dd.

If your dd gets hurt, she may loose out on a lot more than just a few months of training. My dd's injury caused loss of training, fear and confidence issues. And she was at a gym that is very safety conscious.

I am pretty sure a lot of gyms would take her mid season, she just wouldn't compete. But imagine how much better she'd be set up for next year if she spent all this time with good coaching instead of treading water where she is.

We were at a gym where the upper level optional who trained there started going backwards. I'm sure that can happen naturally in some cases, but it was definitely a symptom of the dysfunction and a harbinger of the impending doom. Sounds like it may be in your case too.

I've personally seen more than one instance where a gymnast switches gyms and competes for the 2nd gym in the middle of the competition season, so it's definitely not a USAG rule.

Also agreeing that qualified boys coaches can coach girls without any issues.

We moved gyms mid season under pretty unpleasant circumstances. She competed right away at the new gym and didn’t miss a beat. It happens.

gyms don’t like to do this but they also very motivated not to leave a gymnast without a Gym home or leave a gymnast in an unsafe training environment, assuming the reason their leaving or were kicked out isn’t their fault.

of course it is best to stay to the end of the season, but that is not always what is best for the gymnast and I don’t regret our decision for a second. It was absolutely what was best for my daughters wellbeing at the time.

another thing to think about. If there is going to be a big group looking for a new gym at the end of the season it could prove very beneficial to get ahead of that rush. I heard About a group in our area that needed To find a new gym fast. They all went to this one gym and that gym only had room for a certain number of gymnasts. they picked the ones they liked best and the rest were left scrambling. Just something to think about, especially if you don’t have a lot of good choices.

if your gym is ok with you bringing in an outside coach because they clearly know their coaching is inadequate then they are not very likely to put up a fight or not cooperate with whatever gym you want to move to.

if good quality, safe, long term gymnastics is the goal then you need to be her Parent and make the move as soon as possible. If she just wants to have fun and play with her friends for another year before moving onto another sport then it is probably ok to stick it out as long as you feel she is safe. Good luck!

It is not hard to switch gyms for a meet. You send an email to the host gym and switch affiliations with USAG. It is not something that coaches and gyms like to do, but it isn’t hard. I have done it a few times. In every case the other gym wasn’t a safe place for the gymnast to remain.

DD is going to compete 3 out 4 and finish the season .

She isnt where she wanted to be in her career and seems to be feeling it is too late in the game for her to make it happen.

She is considering trampoline.
Apparently that is an actual sport. She knows of a gym that does it.The only other thing she would like to try is snowboarding, the one where they do all the Ariel's after going off the jump.

She showed me videos. They are both horrifyingly dangerous sports, snowboarding more so, that won't be happening. Luckily we don't have the geography or the weather for it.

She doesn't really like much for after school type sports.

I have gotten a couple emails from around the country from other parents. Coaching shortage in lots of places. This situation is not at all unique turns out.

Lots of girls quit at this age , the homework and school social scene. As long as she is ok with it then I'm ok with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back