British WAG and MAG team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a lot of confidence in them, considering they beat Russia and got a silver medal at the Europeans this year. I think Claudia Fragapane will definitely qualify for the floor final, possibly getting a medal. I'm pretty sure Becky Downie will qualify to the bars final too, and if she does her job will definitely get a medal.

Max Whitlock was only tenths of a point away from an AA medal last year, and he got silver on PH - and he's been pretty steady since then so I reckon he's in with a chance of AA and PH medals again.

What happened to Whitlock on floor? Looks like he is 3rd among the Brit guys, so no AA finals for him?

I caught one guy on floor today. It might have been him. Opening tumbling pass he landed way short, kind of on knees/head/hands. Out of bounds on 2nd pass. That could have been him, but since I came in late....I didn't see any names.

Yeah, I just watched the replay (thank you, USA Gymnastics!). That was him. I can't believe he managed to get through the rest of the routine after that first pass. I guess that's what makes an elite, but wow, what bad luck.

Yeah. That first pass was scary! He hesitated just a fraction of a second and I wondered if he was hurt. You could tell his focus was a bit off after that. Sad. I love to watch his floor flairs!

He also scored around a point lower than usual on PH, which won't have helped.

But Nile! Oh my goodness, I'm so proud of him! And all the others, of course. <3

Now the nail-biter of refreshing the scores tomorrow while my Russian boys compete and hoping that they'll do well but also not knock any British boys out of any finals! I could just about deal with other people knocking them out, but if it was one of my other favourites? Nooooo.

Nile Wilson had to withdraw due to a wrist injury, aggravated by impact. It was thought the all around could do lasting damage, but he's still doing high bar final.
Hmm...Happy for Whitlock. But can't help thinking that if this were China or Russia who had replaced a qualifier with someone more capable of medaling there would be some rumblings.

Hmm...Happy for Whitlock. But can't help thinking that if this were China or Russia who had replaced a qualifier with someone more capable of medaling there would be some rumblings.
I've just read skepticism about the injury elsewhere. Whitlock did well anyway. Congrats to him!

Well people always love a conspiracy story - makes life more interesting than the truth.

The GB coaches were interviewed at the weekend and said that Dan Purvis and Nile Wilson had both earned their spots in the AA and would not be replaced, barring injury. Nile has confirmed himself that it was 100% a joint decision, between himself, the med team and the coaches, to withdraw and protect his wrist from more serious damage. He's a first year senior and didn't want to risk his career.

Maybe that's just what happened?

You don't mess around with wrists. Absolutely the right call by GB -- don't squander the future for the sake of the present (WHY was Kyla Ross competed on floor in the women's team final???!!). And certainly you can't argue with the result, right? So happy for Whitlock!

But . . .

has there ever been anyone like Kohei Uchimura? Five world titles. Fifteens across the board today.

Reactions: sce
Disappointing. They are better than this. I think there were too many silly mistakes, which cost both the MAG and WAG a medal. The girls especially look a little out of shape, compared to the USA, and are too tentative. They need to go out there KNOWING they WILL hit.

I loved Ruby Harrold's bars routine. So much fun to watch and so different than most of the others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back