Parents Broken Toe

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
I always expected DD’s first broken bone would happen at the gym, but she broke her toe in a non gymnastics related event. The orthopedist wants to check her in two weeks and thinks it’s a good possibility she will be cleared to practice again. I was surprised that the toe would heal this quickly. Is this common with toes? I don’t want her to return too soon and risk injuring it again.

My daughter fractured her toe and was back to full practices within three weeks, after an x-ray confirmed that the fracture was fully healed.

My DD broke her toe (it was in a 90 degree turn to the side). They gave her a shot, moved it back in place. Checked it the next day and was still in place. She was out for 3 weeks and then eased in over a week.

Mine was no impact for 3 weeks (conditioning, bars with no landings), and then low impact for the next week (basic tumbling, etc.). So 4 weeks total before 100% back.

Ok, good to know that the timeline is consistent with broken toes. I just don’t want her to push and return too soon and make the injury worse.

Yep, the toe motto is “Tape it and go.” She can still do plenty at practice, just no impact or running, etc. if you keep her out completely for 2-3 weeks, she could lose some strength and muscle. My daughter broke several bones, including her toe, had 3 different surgeries, and never missed more than a few days.

Yep, the toe motto is “Tape it and go.” She can still do plenty at practice, just no impact or running, etc. if you keep her out completely for 2-3 weeks, she could lose some strength and muscle. My daughter broke several bones, including her toe, had 3 different surgeries, and never missed more than a few days.

She has been going to practice to keep up her upper body and core strength. But I’ve told her to follow the doctors orders and stay off her foot.

When my dd broke her toe we were told toes really depend on the type and location of the break and on which toe. Closer or into the joint near the foot, worse. Big toe, worst.

My dd had a clean non-displaced break in her fourth toe, just the toe bone not near a joint. She was two weeks just conditioning with the toe taped to the next one then two more weeks doing whatever gymnastics she could do in a tennis shoe and then all clear. If I remember correctly I don’t even think she had to go back in for a second xray. They just said come back if it doesn’t start getting better as expected but it all went just as ortho said it would.

this was a very simple recovery. it was worse when she sprained her pinky toe. That one bothered her on and off for a couple of years even though she wasn’t required to stop at all just tape it to the next toe and don’t do anything that hurts too bad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back