Off Topic Calf muscle stretches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
So we upped our time on vault this year and i notice that my Calf muscles (i think, it is below my knee on the back) are really wore and thight. Does anyone know Some good stretches for these muscles?

My DD has a tight calf muscle (it's the one that is kind of on the inside of the calf) due to her hip turning in. Her pt ran her through all kinds of variations of the classic lunge stretch- lift big toe up, bend back knee, turn back foot inwards, turn foot outwards, etc. So I would try all those variations to see which stretches the tight muscle best. Also massage / rolling the muscle.

Please be aware what is called the calf by most is a combination of muscles. The two largest are the Gastrocnemius and Soleus. The Gastrocnemius originates above the knee and attaches at the Achilles tendon. The Soleus originates below the knee and attaches at the Achilles. To properly stretch the calf, stretches should be done with a bent knee, soleus muscle stretch and a straight leg, gastrocnemius muscle stretch.

Look up some stretches and find the ones that seem to stretch the affected area the best.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back