Parents Camcorder?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k2bdeutmeyer

Coach
Proud Parent
What do you all use for meets? I want to get something before next weekend. DD has a showcase and I'm just not sure my little point & shoot camera can cut it (in fact, I'm almost certain it can't). I don't have a ton of money to spend (or any really), but I'm scouring ebay.

Thanks for any advice!!

Not sure what your needs are but I have a JVC everio which is very small, easy to use, takes beautiful HD video, can upload to you tube in one step and has 8 g built in memory plus you can add a SDHC for more. It's under $300 or so at Best Buy, HH Gregg or whatever local electronics store you have.

I really just want it for use at DD's meets and older DD's softball games. Anything else around the house, I can use the video feature on my point & shoot camera.

I have a HD Flip Cam and for ease of use and portability it gets an A+++ in my book. Though the zoom isn't the best, compulsary meets and shows generally don't need a ton of zoom. It is by far the easiest thing on earth to use and it's so tiny that I just keep it in my purse at all times and can whip it out to record new skills at practice or anything else. We've only been at one meet where I couldn't record floor and it wasn't a distance thing, it was a line of sight thing. It even has image stabilization which is good for me since I am a spazz. I paid $199 for it at Best Buy when my daughter was on the Tiny Team and it's still going strong 3 years later.

So glad you started this thread! I am also in the market for a camcorder, though I have a little more time to look around & (hopefully) save, as DD won't have her first comp. until the fall. Trying to budget for team leo/warm-up, meet/coaches fees, summer gym camp and a camcorder is going to take some finesse on my part! Great to hear about the Flip - have been looking into that particular cam.

I used to use a bulky JVC that required tapes but when we moved to Texas I couldn't find which box it was packed in. I took that as a sign that it was time to buy a new so I got a Sony Handycam HDR-CX110 in February and so far I really like it. It's a bit pricey at around $400 and requires an SD card since it doesn't have any internal memory. I've used it tape 4 meets so far and I've been pleased with the results. Last weekend I even used it for still pictures since my point & shoot is broken and hasn't been replaced yet.

Had a sony Handycam before the JVC Everio- the Everio has a much faster zoom and you get a lot more for the money- sony and Panasonic are pricier. I just saw the Everio in the HH Gregg add for $199!

For the price the Flip HD is great, but the zoom isn't that good. If you're relatively close at most meets then it should work well for you. It's also SUPER easy to use. I think I got mine for $199 at Best Buy.

For my next camcorder I'm planning to spend more money and get a HDD camera--with great zoom. Easy to upload to the computer and takes great video. I do the team video (have for the last several years) and people with Sony HDD cameras have the nicest, clearest video!

I use a Kodak Playsport. I bought it on Amazon for about $125. It uses a SD card, just make sure that it is at least a class 6 card. I actually use a class 10 card (it's the little number that's in the circle on the SD card.) Comparing it to my friends who have Flips - the Playsport has a better zoom. It's not an awesome zoom, but I do fine in convention centers and large meet areas. It also tapes in HD, the clarity of the video is awesome. It's also super easy to use and it's small, I can fit it in my pants pockets, no problem.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back