Parents Camera for pictures at Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
I’m looking for a new camera for taking pictures at meets. I’m looking at a Canon Rebel T6, but I’ve been told the shutter speed might not be fast enough? What cameras do you use and/or recommend?

I don’t really take photos at meets (I’m a video person), but I have a relatively inexpensive Sony DSC-HX 300, and it gets great motion shots in low light without flash.

These are a few from the low-rent seats at a concert I went to earlier this week. The last one is for perspective on how far away we were and how dark it was- and trust me, something was always in motion! I took close to 500 pics but I uploaded a small bit here. I don’t think you have to spend the $$$ on a DSLR, but obviously I’m no pro either.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/GOL3Nd8SIVyfW/

Last edited:
I’m looking for a new camera for taking pictures at meets. I’m looking at a Canon Rebel T6, but I’ve been told the shutter speed might not be fast enough? What cameras do you use and/or recommend?
We have a T6 and does a great job with no flash

If you get one your lens will be more important to spend money on. You need a fixed aperture lens.

I don’t really take photos at meets (I’m a video person), but I have a relatively inexpensive Sony DSC-HX 300, and it gets great motion shots in low light without flash.

These are a few from the low-rent seats at a concert I went to earlier this week. The last one is for perspective on how far away we were and how dark it was- and trust me, something was always in motion! I took close to 500 pics but I uploaded a small bit here. I don’t think you have to spend the $$$ on a DSLR, but obviously I’m no pro either.

Wow those are amazing!!

Wow ! Those look professional to me!

Wow! Those pictures are great!

I happen to have the same camera but don’t get great action shots. I’m not even an amateur photographer, though.

Do you mind sharing tips? When I take action shots, the moving parts are a little blurred. Like if I take a picture of my dd doing a split jump, her feet are blurred.

Thanks!

Wow! Those pictures are great!

I happen to have the same camera but don’t get great action shots. I’m not even an amateur photographer, though.

Do you mind sharing tips? When I take action shots, the moving parts are a little blurred. Like if I take a picture of my dd doing a split jump, her feet are blurred.

Thanks!
I’ve found that happens to me on the presets- automatic or sport. Sport can actually be ok, but the shutter lag is ridiculous considering what it’s for. I put it on shutter priority and manually mess with the aperture setting to fit my needs. I take it off auto focus too because it seems to get too confused when there is a lot going on. I just play around with it before trying to shoot. For a meet, I would test my settings during the open warm up. At concerts and dance shows I play around during the opening acts (or during the very first part of a dance show). I didn’t like it at first and missed my canon, but I didn’t want to give up because I love the wireless transfer since I don’t have a computer.

Well I took the easy way out....I would buy the pictures at the meets if I really liked them.....taken by much better photographers than me. We usually found one per season that we really liked and bought, and they weren't very expensive (under $20). I never needed the added worry of getting a good shot

Well I took the easy way out....I would buy the pictures at the meets if I really liked them.....taken by much better photographers than me. We usually found one per season that we really liked and bought, and they weren't very expensive (under $20). I never needed the added worry of getting a good shot
Double whoa! Most seasons there have been photographers at most meets, but the pictures were always between $50-$150! This season there were no photographers, even at states. I was told it’s because meet directors now need every single parents permission before the meet for the photographer to work- anyone know if that’s true?

I saw photographers at Regionals last weekend...and talked to one planning to go to JOs

And when we did order something like a collage of photos at JOs, it was in the 100 buck range ( and worth it...they did such a nice job at Team Photos) but regular meets , for a single 8 x 10, to update every year...$20 so that worked for me.

I saw photographers at Regionals last weekend...and talked to one planning to go to JOs

And when we did order something like a collage of photos at JOs, it was in the 100 buck range ( and worth it...they did such a nice job at Team Photos) but regular meets , for a single 8 x 10, to update every year...$20 so that worked for me.
I guess I’m glad it was either a fluke... or photographers aren’t a big thing in our new state. I guess we’ll see next year!

I’ve found that happens to me on the presets- automatic or sport. Sport can actually be ok, but the shutter lag is ridiculous considering what it’s for. I put it on shutter priority and manually mess with the aperture setting to fit my needs. I take it off auto focus too because it seems to get too confused when there is a lot going on. I just play around with it before trying to shoot. For a meet, I would test my settings during the open warm up. At concerts and dance shows I play around during the opening acts (or during the very first part of a dance show). I didn’t like it at first and missed my canon, but I didn’t want to give up because I love the wireless transfer since I don’t have a computer.

Thanks! I guess I need to look more into this before next season. I took a photography class in high school and college and remember nothing about the experience. I have been using the camera using autofocus and point and shoot mode, so that probably explains it. I still get fairly nice pictures for what I do, but I have not figured out how to get the action shots without the little blur at all.

Thanks!

I have a Nikon D7000, and I use their VR lenses. Shutter speed has been fine and I've taken some good shots even in pretty low lighting, but the autofocus is of course hit or miss. If my kid is on an event that doesn't change much distance-wise, I take the AF off. But if they're on floor, I use the AF with varying results.

I don't use sport mode.

We've also encountered way fewer photographers at meets this season - I've been assuming maybe this is due to Safe Sport initiatives. We've always bought a few, but never for under $100 or so.

Double whoa! Most seasons there have been photographers at most meets, but the pictures were always between $50-$150! This season there were no photographers, even at states. I was told it’s because meet directors now need every single parents permission before the meet for the photographer to work- anyone know if that’s true?

Our State Meet had a ban on professional photographers as did our Regional meet. I normally always bought pics at State because they were worth the price to me just once a year. I was SUPER disappointed to not be able to have them done this year. We were told it was due to Safe Sport and the "privacy of the gymnasts". I hope next year we see a change... I am not much of a photographer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back