Parents Can a regular old 5 year old be competitive one day?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
So here's my question -ODD (7 and on pre team) started gymnastics on the late side at nearly 6. Very soon she started to show at least a bit of talent -basically really good cartwheels and handstands came quickly. She's not amazingly talented but she was moved up to pre team quickly and has spent the past year building strength and improving, etc, etc. She's not competing yet but I feel that given the right time frame, she can one day be a perfectly acceptable level 3, level 4, etc. if that makes sense. My YDD is newly 5 -so she's still about 8 months younger than ODD was when she started and probably 10 months younger than ODD was when ODD started to show signs of being at least a candidate for pre team. YDD would love to be on pre team like ODD and there is a pre pre team at our gym (ODD went straight to reg pre team). YDD has not been "invited" to pre pre team but I'm wondering if I should ask about it in hopes to get her on. But despite having started in pre-school gymnastics at age 3.5 she cannot do a good cartwheel or pullover yet. Is there hope for her or should I be directing her towards other activities or try to get her on pre-pre-team?

Each gym's criteria is different, but yes she most likely could be on team in the future.. If she is interested in pre-team then let her coach know that.

I agree with the ladies above. It just takes time to build their muscles. My daughter did not have strong arms when she started compared to some other girls but she has been practicing hard :)

My daughter couldn't do a cartwheel until she was 5 years old and now she's a 12 year old level 8. She also wasn't the type her current gym would have picked for preteam, but luckily for her (on some days I'd say not so luckily!) a coach at her old gym loved her determination and love for gym and put her on their preteam group.

That said, I've seen girls start at 6 or 7 and even older and do amazing.

If she's interested, it can't hurt to inquire.

Some gymnasts don't start until older :) Some of our UK competitive gymnasts (competed in the world championships) didn't start until 6+

Reactions: Dka
Nearly 6 is not "on the late side" :)

If ydd is just 5 she has a while yet, but it might be worth having a chat and letting them know she's interested when they think she's ready.

Thanks for the replies. It's true that almost 6 is not late to start -I really meant that compared to my YDD who started at 3.5 nearly 6 seems late :). I should specify that my 5 year old always lands on the wrong foot when doing a cartwheel. She actually gets her feet over her head and has some power in her cartwheel so I figure once she figures out the whole foot thing she will have a pretty good cartwheel. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get her to start landing on the correct foot? Her coaches don't seem to pay a lot of attention which would be one of the advantages to getting her on pre-pre-team (our gym has better coaches for team than for rec).

My daughter started gymnastics in 1st grade.
Would not move up to preteam in 2nd or 3rd grade. (paralyzing stage fright and fear of failure).
She finally moved up to our preteam in 4th grade (old level 2, what is NOW level 1). (10 year old Level 1 ;)) Did old level 3 in spring of 4th grade. New level 3 in 5th grade, and is now a pretty darned decent Level 4 in 6th grade.
Moving (hopefully) to Level 6 in 7th grade :)

If you're just looking for her to be somewhat competitive, she's got plenty of time :)

Thanks for the replies. It's true that almost 6 is not late to start -I really meant that compared to my YDD who started at 3.5 nearly 6 seems late :). I should specify that my 5 year old always lands on the wrong foot when doing a cartwheel. She actually gets her feet over her head and has some power in her cartwheel so I figure once she figures out the whole foot thing she will have a pretty good cartwheel. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get her to start landing on the correct foot? Her coaches don't seem to pay a lot of attention which would be one of the advantages to getting her on pre-pre-team (our gym has better coaches for team than for rec).

When my boys first learned cartwheels, if they tried them on their non-dominant side, they would get all mixed up and put the wrong foot down first. Now they can do either way, but they still prefer one side. I would have her lead with the other leg and see if she's more comfortable with that side. I also cut out hand and footprints and taped them onto our mat to help show where each hand/foot was supposed to land.

I don't think it matters. My older DD started gym when she was 2 and couldn't do good cartwheels until she was 6 (she was on preterm at 5). She's now a level 6. My younger DD is 4 and already has a nearly perfect cartwheel, her big sister showed her one day and she was like I can do that too and just did it. What they can do at 4/5 means nothing really.

Glad to see this question & the answers. My ODD is in a similar boat- she just turned 6 and has done gymnastics since 3.5, and she is not particularly coordinated or athletic- though she's not bad necessarily. I don't know, I'm not a coach!

My ODD is in the pre-pre-team class (anyone can sign up for the beginner class at our gym, if they are the right age) and so far hasn't been kicked out (after 1.5 years of not moving up) so I assume that she's doing OK enough. I have overheard other parents being told that "the rec classes here are really great, your child would probably like that better" so I know it happens. I do see a lot of improvement, and hope that she gets moved up soon (to the next level of pre-pre-team, no illusions of grandeur here) because she's aging out of her level. I am guessing if she isn't ready to move on soon she will be recommended to go over to rec- would not be the end of the world, they even have intramural teams in rec and she would probably enjoy that. She does want to do team, but I wonder if she REALLY wants to do JO or if she would be happy in any sort of team environment- her motivation to me seems mostly social. In any case, for the moment it's all working out, so we just keep going.

FWIW they don't spend much time on cartwheels in the pre-pre-team classes at our gym. My guess is that the time is too valuable, so they do a lot more conditioning & flexibility & body shaping. They have introduced cartwheels and my DD loves to practice them wherever she goes- she finally gets the idea (it happened in the last few months) and she can do a real cartwheel but with ridiculously bent legs. I don't worry about it!

They do work on pullovers & drills in her class, and she still needs help getting over, but she's looking better than she used to. Her class only meets once per week for an hour, the next class is twice per week which I believe would make a huge difference- that's partly why I hope she moves up! The other reason is that her little sister is almost certainly moving up to her current class in the next session.. that is if she doesn't demand to switch to another activity (I just posted about this). YDD is a lot more athletically gifted and she has coaches drooling over her all the time- she is almost 4. Part of the reason why I know ODD is just OK is that the coaches don't get all excited about he the way they do with YDD, and I have seen it when kids in her class get that kind of attention. But ODD has some very good qualities- she is friendly and enthusiastic about everything, everyone appreciates her good attitude. And she has a pretty decent work ethic, if she lacks focus at times. She also has lots of fears but with the right guidance she works through them. Part of why I keep her in the team track as opposed to rec is that they are really trying to get her to do stuff she doesn't think she can do. I think it's great for her, wherever it leads.

So as for the OP's question, I think that yes, it's probably possible, if your daughter wants it and works for it. That is the assumption I'm going on with my kid. It might take a while- my daughter is on the slow track and I am fine with that.

my dd stepped into a gym a month after her 7th birthday. on her 11th birthday she competed level 8( repeating this year due to three fractures and a surgery in 1 year)She played multiple sports until 10 years old, when she decided to stop. It is definitely not to late!!! kids can surprise you, they will develop the skills when they are ready

I just wanted to reply to this. My oldest was in gymnastics off and on for several years before becoming competitive. She was 9 when she was invited to team at a level 2. Honestly at 5, she was a regular gymnastics kid and kind of uncoordinated and there wasn't any sign of the budding graceful girl she is now. At 11, she is gaining skills quickly and focused and looking to move to optionals next spring. So yes, it's possible for sure.

I would agree with the cartwheel issue ; she may prefer the other side. It is worth exploring. My gymmie is right handed, but does all gymnastics left handed (or rather, left footed :p).
She never set foot in a gym until she was 6 1/2,and is now a 9 year old level 6. They can definitely catch up.

Reactions: Dka
My daughter was a 7 year old level 2 and is still a completely average gymnast, but competes well and enjoys it. If your DD is interested, it is worth mentioning it to the coaches. Some girls pick up really fast, others need more time.

I just wanted to reply to this. My oldest was in gymnastics off and on for several years before becoming competitive. She was 9 when she was invited to team at a level 2. Honestly at 5, she was a regular gymnastics kid and kind of uncoordinated and there wasn't any sign of the budding graceful girl she is now. At 11, she is gaining skills quickly and focused and looking to move to optionals next spring. So yes, it's possible for sure.

I am so happy to hear this. Sometimes I wonder if I should try to redirect my older daughter to another sport where she's more likely to be allowed to compete (if that's what she wants). I don't really see her doing level 2 before she turns 8 (but what do I know? I am open to being surprised). She's now just 6 and is in a class of mainly 4 and 5 year olds. But she loves it and never complains about being the biggest/oldest. So onward, at her own pace.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back