Can anyone help me with around what level on average should your daughter be based on her age?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

md4cure

Proud Parent
Hello out there. Does anyone have more or less a guide as to what level with new rules(based on ages) that our gymnast should be within a certain age range. For example; Should an 9 year old on average be right around level 4-5? What about a 10 year old; what average level should they aim to be at if they want to go to Elite? I'm just looking for a guide for this and can't find one online. I know there is variation but hoping experienced parents would have a better gauge as I don't want my daughter to get too old for a certain level. thanks

Hello out there. Does anyone have more or less a guide as to what level with new rules(based on ages) that our gymnast should be within a certain age range. For example; Should an 9 year old on average be right around level 4-5? What about a 10 year old; what average level should they aim to be at if they want to go to Elite? I'm just looking for a guide for this and can't find one online. I know there is variation but hoping experienced parents would have a better gauge as I don't want my daughter to get too old for a certain level. thanks
What new rule are you referring to? I so wish you could get a real answer for this, but the truth is there really isn't one. Each gymnast is on their very own unique path. There are programs out there to help guide your daughter into the elite path which is Tops and Hopes. If your dd gym feels she is right for that path they technically should have already put her on it. If you go to the USAG page and click on Tops program you can see the ages for that as well as hopes. Tops girls age out the year they turn 10, Hopes girls age out the year they turn 13, Jr. Elite ages out at 15 then it goes to Sr. Elite.

As others have alluded to, gymnasts who are working towards elite are typically identified early and trained somewhat differently than JO gymnasts who are simply working through the levels -- regardless of age. My DD is a 10 year old L7 -- working toward becoming an 11 year old L8 -- but is most definitely not on any kind of path that would lead to the National Team. When I was new to gymnastics, I was under the impression that elite was something considered after L10. What I have since learned is that most gymnasts who have been identified as having elite potential are training on separate track (TOPs, HOPES, etc.) at a very young age. This elite track runs simultaneous to the levels, and seems to be even more important. I think it's pretty uncommon for a gymnast to jump from L10 to elite out of the blue (although I believe this happened with Jade Carey, right?).

Anecdotally I've also noticed is that, regardless of age at the early levels, most elite gymnasts seem to move very quickly through the upper levels (e.g., move up more than one level -- 8/9/10 -- in a single season). Just when most gymnasts are slowing down and taking longer to get increasingly difficult and scary skills, the elite track gymnasts seem to fly. Interesting that the stats posted by @GymDadWA support my informal observation -- Level 8 to elite in 1.5 years! Wow!

Yes, as stated, gymnastics is a skill-based sport, not age. The only time ages matter is meeting a minimum age to compete levels, there’s no age=level. The averages have been given already as well.

It may depend on the gym you are at, my kids' gym did not move up girls super early but also did not repeat if the gymnast was successful at that level. If you're in Texas, I think you can get moved up earlier and other gyms too. My daughter was on track for elite, and did level 4 at 8, level 5 at 9, level 7 at 10. She did Hopes at 12, but not well and had an ill-timed switch of gyms, at that point Hopes and elite was no longer a reality. She was beating current elites at level 7 and 8 and won many state and regional titles. We had a family friend that offered to house her if she moved to TX Dreams but she didn't want that (and neither did I, but I think it's something to consider if you're that serious). She's a strong level 10 now. If you want elite, make sure your gym has elites on the national team and then some (we had that) and also an aggressive move-up program level 8ish. I think this is where the Texas gyms and Gage really move ahead.

I don't think there is any 'right' age for a level, no gymnast should be under pressure because they think they're too old for their level. From what I have observed from the meets so far this year and social media in general the average ages seem to be about this:
Level 3-5: 7-10
Level 6-7: 10-13
Level 8-9: 12-15
These seem to be average jo ages in my area. That being said, I don't think too many girls in my region are aiming for elite or the national team.

It really does vary by gymnast. My daughter was a level 3 at age 7 and had made it to level 10 at age 11. She is also on the elite track.

Here’s how it is at my gym, we’re average around here as far as I know (region 6):

Preteam: probably 4/5/6, not really sure
L3: 5/6/7
L4/5: 8/9, maybe 10
L6: 11/12/13
L7: 13/14, maybe 15
L8: 14/15/16
we don’t have any 9/10

Bronze: 8-11, one 14
Silver: 11-15
Gold: 12/13 - 17
no platinum/diamonds

Level 3 age 7 max 8 then each year level up level older under they reach level 7. With age 11 level 7 after that leaves room for growth and puberty and ability to complete level 10 prior to year 12 school commitments or possibility of elite path if not already on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back