Can i do College Gymnastics or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

eandreano1

Im 13 i am doing level 8 for a second year but i have put in some level 9 skills. For vault i can do a pike tsuk, for bars i learned a shootover this summer and perfected my bar routine, for beam im doing backhandspring backhandspring and for my dismount found off layout, floor im trying to do a front layout front tuck and twisting is my weakness so im not doing a full. I really want to do college gymnastics and i want to know if i have a chance! Please help! thanksss!! :)

If you keep it up through high school you probably could. At the moment you're close to D3 gymnastics with the exception of no floor twisting, but if you keep improving and can compete level 9 within the year or two you have a shot at some D2 schools. D1 gymnastics and scholarships are generally only for the level 10/elite girls but keep working hard and you never know what you may accomplish :)

If you can get up to L 9 you'll definitely be able to compete for a college gym team, it just won't be one of the big D 1s and you might not get a scholarship. It's great you're looking at college now in 8th grade, really focus on gyms AND GRADES (very very important! you can be elite and if you do bad in school you won't get on a team). Then in 10th grade you'll be able to get your coach to help start looking for schools that would be a good fit. So don't stress now, just keep progressing, working hard (in gym and school) and enjoying gym! Then you'll be fine.

I do agree that, if you keep this up, you will be able to make a college team at a Division 3 program. However, if for some reason you are not able to, there is always the option to join a college gymnastics club team. For example, I go to Florida State University, and we have a gymnastics club that consists of men and women. We compete under the NAIGC, and there are many other colleges that offer this.

In truth, the amount of NCAA gymnastics programs and scholarships are declining. Therefore, club gymnastics has been growing. It could be a great idea for you to attend a college in your state, pay in-state tuition, while competing on a club team.

you definitely have a good shot given that you have about 4 years. One of the girls I used to coach was about your age and level and she is competing a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx now. She retired as a 9. I don't think she got a scholarship though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't give a name nor time period for said girl. Good luck on that even while doing a USAG athlete membership search. Edit out xxxxx if you think it's dicey.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back