Can I do this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

LeoLuver

ok so i am 13 and i really like gymnastics but i quit when i moved because there werent any good gyms around me. also i quit because i developed if you get what i mean. so im bigger in the stomach and chest. im planning on working out for the rest of the summer 2 see if it will help then during the school year start it again. i quit in level 4 at the end of that level but i wasnt good enough so i would have 2 do level 4 again. i took a tumbling class a while ago but stopped cause the coach wasnt good. but i felt weird because there was this girl there that went to my school and she is like level 8or 9. i kinda felt embarressed. but the gym sucked anyways. i wanna become an elite gymnast. so my question is can i become an elite starting at 13 years old?:confused:
:bars:

Although it is rare, there are cases of people who work really hard who start late and make it to the top. There was a French gymnast some years back whose name escapes me who started gym at age 12 and soon became her country's national champion. Also, look at Oksana from Germany for inspiration. She's 32 years old I believe, and is going to the Olympics to represent her country. So it's good to be realistic, but also have big dreams and dare to go all out for them. Best of luck!

Also, don't worry about other people's levels. I'm a level 7 and there's a girl 6 years younger than me on my team, and she outscores me on every event except bars. You have to just worry about yourself, and not what people around you are doing.

I have heard that Alicia Sacramone started gym when she was 9 and became an elite when she was 12. If that is not correct, I am sorry, lol. I have the same dream too. I just started gym when I was 14 for my high school, but I kinda wanted to do club. I know that when I was younger, I was asked to do team while I was taking a tumbling class, but my parents couldn't pay for it. You would have to work extremely hard to get to an elite status. But think, if you are not able to make it to the elite status then there is always college gymnastics and youcan still continue with the sport.

First let me say, good on you for getting back to gymnastics. It is an incredible sport for your all around fitness, strength, balance and flexibility. Don't owrry too much about the fact that your body is changing, all gymnasts will go through body changes as they grow and have to learn to adjust to their new shapes and sizes. There are a few advantages to your new body too, mainly you will be able to develop more strength and will begin developing your adult strength.

Forget the age of the other kids, it wont matter in you are the only one in a class of 6 year olds. Gymnastics classes are not based on age, they are based on ability. If you are embarrassed at being older simply say to yourself. "All it is, is that these grisl started earlier". Don't think of it as the little kids class, think of it as the class for people of your level. Being older you will probably foind you progress a little faster through the lower levels anyway. Being older gives you a few more advantages. You will find it easier to learn and understand what your coach is trying to say, you will be able to concentrate and focus for longer periods of time, you will be able to understand what your body is trying to do better.

There is no rule that says you need to become elite by a certain age, so age has nothing to do with whether or not you will make elite. I mean you could start gymnastics at the age of 20 and make elite at 30. There are incredible international competitiors in their 30's. The reason why people try to make elite as young as possible is often the lifestyle of the sport. Elite gymnasts train 6 days a week for 6-7 hours a day, this is much easier to do when you are in your teen years than when you are an adult and often have to attend a job, make money, look after yourself, have a family and so on. That doesnt mean you cant do it as an adult, its just much less popular.

I havent read any of the other posts but i have some information for you that i hope will help.

I quit gymnastics about the same age as yourself - and about the same level.

I didnt realise my mistake until i was 18. I am not 19 years old and training gymnastics again (gymstar levels 4-6 which is like normal levels but not as demanding.)

Though I could never be an elite gymnast now at MY age you most deffinately can if you are willing to do what it takes. If you love gymnastics then do it. It is just that simple.

Im 19 years old almost 20 and I have to train with children (ages 10-17) that is most deffinately difficult in more ways than one - but at the end of the day you should so what ever it takes to do what makes you happy.

I think you are fantastic for getting back into gymnastics and I am so glad that you have realised this now - you will be great and dont ever think other wise. When you tell yourself you're going to be great and more importantly when you believe it - you might surprise yourself =)

Your age is not that big of a deal. You have trained to level 4 and you wont have lost what you have learnt - all you need to build up at first is your strength and flexibility and you will do just fine.

Thanks for reading =)

-- Takiah.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back