Can I wash my grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of the level 6's was on bars and I wasn't and she asked me if she could borrow my grips because she forgot hers... stupid me she got a rip and got blood on MY GRIPS! Thats disgusting! Is there anyway I can wash my grips without messing them up?

ummm i dont think so... because you know how if you use too much water on your grips they get all stiff and slipperyish? i think that's what would happen... i dont know though- maybe theres another way to wash them that idk about...

maybe you can just scrub at the area...or if it's out of season for you, maybe buy new ones? idk. sorry that happened!

No, you can't wash them in a washing machine. After the blood has dried, there is no danger to you. Your better off trying to cover the blood with chalk.

More importantly...you should never wear any grips but your own. Grips break into your hand and it could be dangerous for anyone else to use them.

Thanks. Yeah it dried before I used them and I covered it with lots of chalk. Yeah I do have other grips but I'm still in season so I can't really break them in yet. I'm never letting someone use my grips again!!

No, you can't wash them in a washing machine. After the blood has dried, there is no danger to you. Your better off trying to cover the blood with chalk.
Ummm.... that is not entirely true. Hepatitis B for instance can survive in dried blood. It is not transmittable unless mixed with liquid (i.e. water/sweat). I believe the risk is very low, but it is still a risk. Most kids are vaxed against Hep B. However, I'm sure there are other germs that can survive in dried blood. It is amazing how long bacteria/viruses can survive. Now, your friend probably doesn't have any nasty diseases which makes your risk low. It is difficult to pass infection (but not impossible) via dried blood. Not only would the germ have to be there, you would have to have on open wound, enough sweat to mix with the germ (that now lives in dried leather) and then for the germ to transmit back to you. Risk is absolutely miniscule. But coach JBS is right. NEVER share your grips. Think of them as underwear :D

Don't worry yourself, but learn from this... As I think you have.

Take care,

Trauma Nurse mtbmom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back