Parents Can level 9 gymnasts score well with two tumbling passes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Khw

Proud Parent
Hello,
My DD is a level 9 gymnast. She was injured last season so only competed 1 level 9 regular season (non-state/regional) meet and scored very well with two tumbling passes. This season she is competing lev 9 and the coach has added another tumbling pass because she said with the new composition rules, the judges want to see 3 passes, but admits that the rules/judging is somewhat unclear. I completely trust and adore her coach; however, my daughter is not scoring well with 3 tumbling passes (has slight knee bend issues in bhs) and wanted to know if anyone has more insight into the scoring ramifications of two tumbling passes. The two passes would be as follows: #1- front through to 1.5 twist or possibly double back and #2 Front full to front pike. If you have any suggestions on tumbling passes it would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

There are 2 sets of compositional deductions for acro: a 2-pass routine and a 3-pass routine. As long as her routine has all the special requirements, all the As, Bs, and Cs that she needs, and a full turn, then its fine. The compositional guidelines will be applied according to the routine (either the 2-pass or 3-pass).

I'd like to state that coaches say a lot of things about what judges are looking for or wanting that just aren't true--except maybe elite judges. We don't care if there's 2 or 3 passes, as long as all SR are met. We like upbeat music, classical music, hip hop, top 40, movie soundtracks, etc (except music with voice, the wailing kind. Don't like that at all. :))

There are 2 sets of compositional deductions for acro: a 2-pass routine and a 3-pass routine. As long as her routine has all the special requirements, all the As, Bs, and Cs that she needs, and a full turn, then its fine. The compositional guidelines will be applied according to the routine (either the 2-pass or 3-pass).

I'd like to state that coaches say a lot of things about what judges are looking for or wanting that just aren't true--except maybe elite judges. We don't care if there's 2 or 3 passes, as long as all SR are met. We like upbeat music, classical music, hip hop, top 40, movie soundtracks, etc (except music with voice, the wailing kind. Don't like that at all. :))
Thank you sooooo much! I greatly appreciate your feedback.

For a two pass routine to get no composition deductions you would need at least a C salto with acro connection bonus in both passes. Which she would not have with those two passes. Ghe fornt tuck step out into 1 1/2 back twist or double back would be an indirect connection on only an A Acro skill. BUT that means she would get a 0.05 deduction for composition not up to level. Unless she can perform her third tumbling pass with less than 0.05 deduction in the whole pass, then it hardly seems worth doing.

For a two pass routine to get no composition deductions you would need at least a C salto with acro connection bonus in both passes. Which she would not have with those two passes. Ghe fornt tuck step out into 1 1/2 back twist or double back would be an indirect connection on only an A Acro skill. BUT that means she would get a 0.05 deduction for composition not up to level. Unless she can perform her third tumbling pass with less than 0.05 deduction in the whole pass, then it hardly seems worth doing.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

My dd is a level 9 with 2 passes and has a 10 sv and scores well. She does a RO/1.5/punch front and then a flo/ front full. Hope that helps.

The up to level composition deduction does not effect the start value. Gymnasts can still get a start value of 10.0 with the basic requirements.

It is an execution deduction, of a maximum of 0.2.

Reactions: Khw
The up to level composition deduction does not effect the start value. Gymnasts can still get a start value of 10.0 with the basic requirements.

It is an execution deduction, of a maximum of 0.2.
Thank you for the clarification. It definitely does not seem worth risking the form deductions. What determines if the maximum execution deduction is taken vs. .05?

In the code of points it states what counts as a routine with no compositional deduction, 0.05, 0.1 etc.

But for the skill itself deductions will be taken for any mistakes like poor landings, lack of height, bents legs, I pointed feet etc.

Reactions: Khw
In the code of points it states what counts as a routine with no compositional deduction, 0.05, 0.1 etc.

But for the skill itself deductions will be taken for any mistakes like poor landings, lack of height, bents legs, I pointed feet etc.
Thank you much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back