Off Topic Can love of the sport be learned?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's been about a year since I was forced to retire from gymnastics because of a career ending injury. Now I am starting to play another sport that my doctor approved me to participate in. I'm just in the beginning stages of learning; most of the girls I would be competing against if I ever get good enough have been doing this sport since they were 6 years old. I can tell they have the fire for the sport, just like I had for gymnastics. However, I do not have the fire for this sport. It is okay and it is more fun than sitting around but it doesn't bring me the joy gymnastics did. I know that I worked really hard in gymnastics because I loved it so much but I just don't have the desire to work as hard for this sport because I am just neutral about it.

Can I "teach" myself to love the sport or is it just something that I need to have intrinsically so I will never love it? I don't have to do this sport but I like being active and I like being on a team. It is just a lot of time that I could put into studying (my major is really hard) and doing other fun stuff that I will have to spend learning and getting better at this sport. Opinions?

Ok oldish thread but I agree, I don't think love for a sport can be taught. Maybe it could be discovered though. If you said you just started it recently maybe there are aspects of it you haven't discovered yet. I was like you as a kid, I loved gymnastics and was very motivated. Obviously at my age I can't really do it anymore. But the other sports I do love are kind of similar - diving and skiing. Skiing especially, flying down that mountain like a bat out of h***, there's nothing better. For me it's sports that feel like flying. Running on a treadmill, yawn, so boring.

You have to give it time. You can't teach yourself to have passion for anything, but passion can grow through the success you enjoy as you catch up to everyone else. During that time you'll discover you have certain ideas or interpretations of concepts that helped you become successful in this (second) sport. Probably then you'll love the sport for giving you a chance to figure it out better, faster, or more internally than other people. From there you get pride and satisfaction.... and then the passion grows.

If you hate the sport it probably won't happen, but it sounds like you're doing pretty good compared (or considering) to everyone who have a six year head start. Credit gymnastics with part of that, and give yourself the rest of the credit.

Could it be a residual effect of the sadness of having a career-ending injury in a sport you loved and was a huge part of your life? Grief is a tricky thing, some of the changes to one's heart are even permanenet, and healing sometimes takes lots of time.
I would guess that any adults on this board who have gone through the horrible experience of losing a precious family member (such as a parent or child) would agree with me, that it just changes everything. Some things for a very long time. Some things forever. I remember talking to one of my siblings after our family went through a horrible year, wondering if I could ever feel the joy again like I used to .... in holidays, in how I feel looking at a gorgeous view after a long hike up a mountain.... all the things that used to evoke joy and wonder in me just didn't any more. Not like they used to. Over some years it has much gotten better, but it will never be truly the same. Grief and loss can do that to a person. Maybe that isn't it at all, but it's just a thought that came to mind when I read your post.

What was the sport? And yeah, passion can't be taught.

Sorry if that came off rude. Although, if you stick with the sport, your passion can grow. If this doesn't happen, and you still don't like it, find another sport that you truly love.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back