WAG Can MAG coaches coach WAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughters Coach does both. I will be interested in what others say in this thread.

The head coach of the boys team at my DD’s gym used to be the HC of the girls team, so it’s possible.

I definitely think predominantly MAG coaches would have enough working knowledge to translate skills/ techniques to coaching WAG. Especially in events like floor/vault & even bars. Beam obviously being the standout that doesn't translate similarly to MAG.

However, I think it would be difficult for a predominantly WAG to coach MAG.

Our current MAG HC (once a MAG gymnast through college) coached WAG for many years and is really good at it. He still helps out now and then as well as doing privates, and I personally love learning from him. :)

Yes, one of our current USAG WAG Optional Coaches was a MAG Coach for Years (My guys actually competed against his prior gym's guys, lol) as well as one of our higher level USAIGC Coaches who actually coached with me for about 4-5 years. Both of them are excellent coaches who are dedicated to the sport and it shows. I tried coaching USAIGC Girls at one point early in my career - honestly not my cup of tea, but I still help out with them and the USAG Girls when asked.

I was an MAG coach for most of my career and I miss it every day. The transition to higher level WAG was very easy, but it's more difficult with the lower level presentation. Dance is also still a relatively foreign concept.

Reactions: sce
From a British perspective, different qualifications are required. And the moves that you can coach are determined by your qualifications, so even within WAG, you need different levels to coach different moves.

From a British perspective, different qualifications are required. And the moves that you can coach are determined by your qualifications, so even within WAG, you need different levels to coach different moves.

I had to send in videos for my level 3 WAG qualification when I moved over here and they accepted the higher stuff I had taught the guys because the spotting is the same. I just didn't have any girls doing those skills at the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back