Parents Can someone help me determine skill level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PeanutsMom

Proud Parent
Hi all!

I am hoping someone with a little more understanding can help me out. My daughter is working a front layout front layout combination on floor. What skill level does this fall under and will it add any to her start value? She is currently a level 6.

On bars she is working a toe on toe off and a stalder circle (trying them both, seeing which one she can master first). Are these both B circling skills?

thanks,

Peanut's Mom

Those are both well over L6. The front layout combo is a L8 or L9 depending on other tumbling. I thought a stalder was a C.. seems like some serious uptraining!

Really? I’ve seen circling skills vary from clear hips, toe hands and stalders on bars.
Floor front lay front tuck.. or front lay front pikes.. to front lay lay.. or front hand spring front lays in 7 and 8 too ..
Yes really. L7 is pretty standard at ft/fp or fhs/fp and robhsblo on floor and giant flyaway with a clear hip in there somewhere on bars. Not much fancier seen (or needed, really).

Really? I’ve seen circling skills vary from clear hips, toe hands and stalders on bars.
Floor front lay front tuck.. or front lay front pikes.. to front lay lay.. or front hand spring front lays in 7 and 8 too ..
Yes really. L7 is pretty standard at ft/fp or fhs/fp and robhsblo on floor and giant flyaway with a clear hip in there somewhere on bars. Not much fancier seen (or needed, really).
She has her FT/FP on floor and is working Front Lay Front Tuck with the hopes of getting to Front Lay Front Lay by competition season. She has moved them to the regular floor from tumble track and rod floor, so is already on her way.

FWIW, and I am not an expert by any means, but we saw an occasional Toe on or Stalder at Level 7 this past year. Usually from the best gyms in the state. I think maybe I saw a few FLO FT/FP type passes, but not that common. Same with twisting. But honestly they tended not to score as high. I don't recall seeing any FLO FLO passes at any of the meets we went to. Dd's gym does the FHS FP in level 7 and usually a FLO FP in level 8.

Was she a 6 last season or is a "rising" 6? It sounds like you are wondering if she will be competing a higher level than expected? I will say what they work on at practice does not necessarily translate to what they compete. Many of our girls are working on floor passes for higher levels. It's pretty common to have higher skills on floor than on other events. What is she working on in the other events? Sounds like she is doing great!

Was she a 6 last season or is a "rising" 6? It sounds like you are wondering if she will be competing a higher level than expected? I will say what they work on at practice does not necessarily translate to what they compete. Many of our girls are working on floor passes for higher levels. It's pretty common to have higher skills on floor than on other events. What is she working on in the other events? Sounds like she is doing great!

She is a rising 6. Yes they are all working up skills, but they will make the determination of 6 or 7 late summer early fall. We compete the winter/spring season (our first meet is in December usually). She is working Yurchenko timers on vault, backwalkover backhandspring on beam, toe on toe off and stalders on bars, and RO BHS BLO on floor as well as her FLO FLO on floor.

My daughters gym doesn’t even train clear hips as a circling skill.. only toe hands, front and back stalders.. alongside front and back endos .. my daughter has a clear hip only because she learned it at her previous gym..

She is a rising 6. Yes they are all working up skills, but they will make the determination of 6 or 7 late summer early fall. We compete the winter/spring season (our first meet is in December usually). She is working Yurchenko timers on vault, backwalkover backhandspring on beam, toe on toe off and stalders on bars, and RO BHS BLO on floor as well as her FLO FLO on floor.
If she has giants, I can't understand why they would place her on 6 with what you are describing above. Although you can compete giants in 6. At one Texas meet and at regionals, I saw a few free hip to handstands on 6 from some of the most competitive gyms. I definitely did not see any stalders or toehands on level 6. I rarely saw them on 7. A few girls competed front handspring front tuck or front pike. I saw one girl compete a single front layout. I definitely did not see FLO FLO on floor. I believe it exceeds the requirement for the level. I could be wrong, but they can only have a certain number of B skills on 6. She can do bwo bhs for her series on 6, but I didn't see anyone compete that at any of the meets I went to. It's pretty standard for 7.

My daughters gym doesn’t even train clear hips as a circling skill.. only toe hands, front and back stalders.. alongside front and back endos .. my daughter has a clear hip only because she learned it at her previous gym..

I’m just curious how they score out of 5 or compete 5 without a clear hip?

FWIW, and I am not an expert by any means, but we saw an occasional Toe on or Stalder at Level 7 this past year. Usually from the best gyms in the state. I think maybe I saw a few FLO FT/FP type passes, but not that common. Same with twisting. But honestly they tended not to score as high. I don't recall seeing any FLO FLO passes at any of the meets we went to. Dd's gym does the FHS FP in level 7 and usually a FLO FP in level 8.
We saw stalders at level 5 (it’s a one of the other 2 skills they can do in place of a free hip).

Hi all!

I am hoping someone with a little more understanding can help me out. My daughter is working a front layout front layout combination on floor. What skill level does this fall under and will it add any to her start value? She is currently a level 6.

On bars she is working a toe on toe off and a stalder circle (trying them both, seeing which one she can master first). Are these both B circling skills?

thanks,

Peanut's Mom
Those are both well over L6. The front layout combo is a L8 or L9 depending on other tumbling. I thought a stalder was a C.. seems like some serious uptraining!
Front layouts are a B skill which they can do at level 6, and a Stalder is an allowable C element—they can do stalders in level 5. Any B’s after the first required B are counted as As. Pretty common level 6 skills, even when connected.

Front layouts are a B skill which they can do at level 6, and a Stalder is an allowable C element—they can do stalders in level 5. Any B’s after the first required B are counted as As. Pretty common level 6 skills, even when connected.
And I meant to say common 6/7 skills, but missed the edit window. Since 6 is not a required level, maybe they are looking for gymnasts who can compete level 7 and will move them up?

Those are skills they up train for a LONG time but necessarily use the next level. You'll see since she is a rising 6, that they practice skills they might need not just the next season but several seasons away. My guess would be they are trying harder skills both to have but also to see how quickly she catches on to them. But doing them in practice and being competition ready are two totally different things!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back