WAG Can someone take a look at this vault plz...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Im sorry if what I said came off as rude or pushy I was only hoping someone could give us feedback . My dd said it isn't as good as other peoples in her group and that made me want to see if there were any major issues.

It’s her 2nd day flipping. Let it go and leave it to her coaches. Don’t let your DD compare herself to others in her group...not fair to herself or others. Some kids can learn a skill and it look competition ready immediately while others need time to time to clean it up. Really, don’t stress (and encourage your DD not to stres) on what a skill looks like after 2 days.

My daughter is flipping a tsuk, on and off for just under a year now. It’s between her and her coaches. She’ll compete it in October for the first time. Not my sport, it’s hers.

I’ll just smile and wave

I think it looked pretty amazing for an early attempt at a new, scary skill! To my inexperienced eye she would not have put that vault to her feet, but that's why she's working into the pit. I'm sure her coaches are working with her on her timing, both off the vault and out of the tuck. Congrats to her for starting her flipping vaults!

I think it looked pretty amazing for an early attempt at a new, scary skill! To my inexperienced eye she would not have put that vault to her feet, but that's why she's working into the pit. I'm sure her coaches are working with her on her timing, both off the vault and out of the tuck. Congrats to her for starting her flipping vaults!
Yep, they work in the pit because they don’t expect them to land it

From what I saw she bent her arms in the table and didn’t block which is why she ya slow to flip. She is new to the vault and will improve. I can say that when my kid Eason his second day of flipping vault that I was not concerned if he was near being able to land it. I was to focused on “Holy Carp my kid just did that?” Exciting, and scary. His cia he’s we’re cautious and did not take the vault to mats (even in the pit) until they were sure that he was very ready.

Nowhere near ready to mat, but why would it be? As she gets more comfortable with the entry, she'll be able to run harder, block better, and flip faster. My son's not a great vaulter, and his first year of flipping his tsuk, I think he only stood it up twice in competition. This past year it went significantly better, and I'm sure he will improve more over this summer.

These things take time. I'm sure your daughter will find that different people in her group progress in different ways, and the person who's doing the best now won't necessarily have the best vault next January, and that person may not be doing it the best a year from then. Growing can really wreak havoc with a Yurchenko as well if the kid has to move the start spot after becoming comfortable with one.

My kid worked these for months and months before landing on hard surface. In fact, a week before testing she still had not attempted to land it on a hard surface (and to pass testing to that’s what they have to do.) But the coaches put it off as long as possible, I think bc it’s not necessary until it’s necessary, and so much safer to practice into the pit (or onto a mat in the pit.) When it came time to land it, she was ready.

But if you really want to get a sense whether a vault is landable, just pause the video when the kid is at floor level and see where she is. Unless she’s upright, she would not have landed it :)

Unless you are her coach you CAN NOT HELP. But you can make it more difficult for her and add pressure for something that should be fun and make her question whether or not she is good.

How would you react if you found out your daughter posted a video of you on your second day at yoga and ask " can anyone help? my mom just started yoga and some other people are already much better than her. I've attached a video because I think she's already behind. Please help! I think she might have major issues"

I realize I sound harsh, but your posts sound much more harsh for your child.

Well...she did them on a mat in the pit today and landed feet first then fell to her butt so I guess that answers my question and again Im sorry if what I said was harsh or rude my daughter is a perfectionist and I was only trying to help.

That vault will come and go. She will have good days and bad days with it. She will have days when she balls and does not go at all. She will days when she is on top of the world with that vault. But that vault is not like a front handspring and it is full of inconsistencies. And just like that vault will come and go, both she and you will need to let it go, because if she doesn’t, she won’t ever succeed with it, and if you don’t it will add pressure to her. And vaulting that vault in your own gym is NOTHING like vaulting it at a real meet when the vault table is in a different location with different padding available and a whole potentially different set up and probably a stiffer or looser board.
Vault at level 8 is a beast. And it takes an entire season to tame it, sometimes more. We watched level 9 regionals and probably only half of the girls even did layouts. I will say it again. Vault is a beast. She is doing amazing for this time of the season, and you both need to relax and not compare her to any or everybody else. I bet she is better than others in other events, and you probably (hopefully) don’t compare her to others with that. Sorry for what sounds like a rant, but this vault is scary crap and the fact that she is even flipping the thing and not balking requires major celebration.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back