WAG Can someone tell me if..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
The dismount DD is practicing is a legit dismount in the COP. We don’t have one. Her coach isn’t sure (and I’m not sure why she’s not sure), but DD would love to know.

She starts in the middle of the beam with arms up and swings one leg forward into a one leg takeoff of a front pike off the side of the beam. They call it a front gainer, but I’ve been told that a front gainer isn’t a real skill and that it’s an aerial. If that’s the case, that’s ok too- as long as you can do them to the side of the beam. ;)

I have a video if needed. I’ve also been told it would be included in 6.106 of the FIG code but that’s not a point of reference that I can grasp since I don’t know what 6.106 stands for or how it would translate to the JO code. Thanks!

Hopefully I have attached a link of the picture from the code of points. I am not in the US so I don't know about your JO rules at all.

Attachments

• Beam Gainer Dismount.JPG
    Beam Gainer Dismount.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 43
Hopefully I have attached a link of the picture from the code of points. I am not in the US so I don't know about your JO rules at all.
The pictures have the flip going backward, which was my understanding of a gainer. The words don’t specify that the flip be backwards though. Have you ever seen someone go forward in their flip? Thank you for posting this!

A gainer salto rotates backward. You are correct it is a front aerial. Would be covered under 9.102 in JO code. Either end or side of beam is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.PNG
    IMG_0315.PNG
    826.9 KB · Views: 30
I just saw someone compete this somewhat recently. I cannot for the life of me remember who or where though. I do remember people gasping because they were not expecting it.
I think that’s why my DD likes it so much. She has a FT, FP, front half, and is working the full- all off the end, but this just looks less like what anyone else will do.. it’s kinda her thing. Ha! The code says tucked or straight though- does that mean she can’t pike? Or is that an understood that if you can tuck or layout, you can pike?

It's the FIG code description of the gainer that says tucked or straight.(and I actually think pike being left out might be a typo, since there is a comma after tucked) The front aerial in the JO code does not specify body position, which means it is optional.

I have no idea, but I sure wish I could see her routine.
Considering the craziness that is my child, I sure do hope that *I* end up getting to see it! If it all works out and I do, I’ll happily share! I love to share her videos. I’ve gotten more videos from her of individual skills in the past three days than I have in the past whole year. Ha!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back