Can we start a petition to ban wolf turns?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
Seriously, is this not the most overused skill in women's gymnastics at the moment? It's bad enough on beam, but even on floor. Texas Dreams seems to consider it a mandatory requirement.

Very few gymnasts do them well. Most it's hideous on... They must go!!

Apologize for my rant - Continue about your day o_O

I like them - when done right. But you are right that there are a lot of sloppy ones out there. Then again, I am amazed by how many of the elites can't do a simple 180 split jump on beam

They always look wobbly, even when done well. I also don't like side somis, they never look pretty, even when the best gymnasts so them.

And for some reason, all the boys want to do those side somis. Ugh! I was not happy when D put one in his routine..

I'll sign, they are heinous. At least with a side somi (while ugly) is far more difficult and you can't just flail your arms around/ drop leg early to compensate for poor technique. Wolf pivots are just playing to the code, which is telling of the current gymnastics direction - you used to put a skill like that in (and many others) because you were actually good at it and it added to the overall look of the routine. Now its all about chucking in the same overvalued skills as everyone else because quality of performance means very little, we dont need all these stupid 'artistry' deductions we need ROV back.

This actually became the running joke with our group at the Secret Classic yesterday. Completely over-done. It was refreshing when a gymnast didn't include one-thank you Gabby!! All the gymnasts fell out of them. Only 2 gymnasts executed them flawlessly that I saw-1 being Simone.
Although, it's really an amazing skill when executed correctly, I'd sign your petition Empowered.

Is that the turning skill Simone does 2.5 of at the beginning of her beam routine? The turn down in a squat w/ one leg straight out to the side? I agree they are usually always poorly performed if so.

I think when they are used occasionally and done well, they are fine. The problem is that they've become that skill that everyone is using to get some bonus. Their is always that overused skill.

The judges should be deducting the heck out of these horrid skills (both wolf turns and side somis) so NO ONE has any incentive to do them! Even Simone! For some unknown reason, Mr. Twister aka Shirai Kenzo aka probably The Most Awesome Floor Guy In The World has a side somi in his floor routine, and I get sad every time I see it. Sorry, Margo!!

The judges should be deducting the heck out of these horrid skills (both wolf turns and side somis) so NO ONE has any incentive to do them! Even Simone! For some unknown reason, Mr. Twister aka Shirai Kenzo aka probably The Most Awesome Floor Guy In The World has a side somi in his floor routine, and I get sad every time I see it. Sorry, Margo!!
Kenzo does that because it meets the element group for side or Arabian skill. Meeting that (lame) element group is worth .5 plus the value of the skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back