Parents Can we talk about IG Brand Ambassadors?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are your thoughts about this and about the whole Ambassador thing?

I would be looking for accounts that have the most followers in my realm regardless of who they rep.

Here’s my question: wouldn’t a company want their ambassador to be exclusive to their brand? Isn’t it a conflict of interest to have an ambassador who is also advertising your competitors? I looked at the accounts of the 25
Oz winners, and here’s what I found:
The ambassadors who advertise for 3 or more companies of any kind: 16
Ambassadors for 2 leo brands (including O): 7
3 leo brands: 6
4 leo brands: 3
5 leo brands
Again, I have no problem with ambassadors for companies, but am I crazy to think that it’s strange to not have exclusive ambassadors for your brand? (Thats 18 out of 25 who are ambassadors for other leotard companies at the same time.) I also think that there are some gymnasts out there who would enjoy having the chance to be an ambassador. What are your thoughts about this and about the whole Ambassador thing? (Keep it nice)

I agree with the OP. When I see the same person advertising for multiple leotard companies (and other companies), it just proves to me that they are doing it more for the fame and free products rather than believing in that particular brand. My daughter is not in the least but interested in that kind of stuff anyway. She has a private Instagram that she uses to talk to her friends and to follow college/elite gymnasts, but only occasionally even posts anything gymnastics related. And she doesn't follow any of the instagymmies and the occasional one that I show her, she doesn't want anything to do with. She's really more interested in girls around her age/level or, like I said, college or elite girls. So I guess it doesn't really make a difference to me, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

There was some kind of wake up call with UK Instagram gymnasts recently. I think that someone discovered that their photos had been taken and used on an 'unsuitable' website. And suddenly people realised that public photos really are public. So there was a backlash from parents saying their children should be allowed to rep for a company and still have a private account.
But those private accounts they are still asking for more followers and just checking out that they are from other gymnasts. Because it wouldn't be possible for anyone unscrupulous to create a fake gymnastics account now would it? (Yes, sarcasm).
Treat anything you post online as public people. And when you have a 9 year old on instagram writing 'parent run account' is an apology to instagram rules, not protecting them from dodgy people out there.

My daughter has done some modeling totally unrelated to gymnastics. She has an agent and has done a few jobs. We live in a small market for that type of thing so nothing too big. I have learned from our limited experience that agents and casting directors don't look too kindly at brand reps and ambassadors because it is kind of like doing a job for free (or just the cost of a product sample) without all the rules and regulations of hiring a model. That with the all the bad things that can happen with a childs photo on a public site have really made me weigh out the pros and cons of those types of things.

Honestly I have submitted my daughter for a brand rep position (for a shoe company) but I don't think I would do it for a leo company and that was a while back... I don't think I would do it now with all that I have learned.

So I figured I should pipe in for this conversation. My daughter is an ambassador for Plum and several other companies not related to leotards. Plum is exclusive. They started this when my daughter got selected. There was a HUGE uproar from parents that their daughters have been telling for awhile. They were disgusted that Plum wanted exclusivity. You will find that the huge accounts are all about how many leo brands they can rep.. it’s like a competition between accounts to see how many leotard companies rep them. Also, these huge accounts do not go through their followers! I would say 60% are fake accounts mixed with men following. I can speak only for myself, ( it’s mandatory to have a public account) but I comb through daily and delete and block followers. I also belong to a group that sends accounts that should be reported or blocked. I would love to have tons of videos to post to Instagram but I don’t get much gym video content as I don’t watch practice. My daughter is a level 10 gymnast and once she is recruitable or a year or two before I will start an exclusive Instagram / YouTube account for gym skills only..

So I figured I should pipe in for this conversation. My daughter is an ambassador for Plum and several other companies not related to leotards. Plum is exclusive. They started this when my daughter got selected. There was a HUGE uproar from parents that their daughters have been telling for awhile. They were disgusted that Plum wanted exclusivity. You will find that the huge accounts are all about how many leo brands they can rep.. it’s like a competition between accounts to see how many leotard companies rep them. Also, these huge accounts do not go through their followers! I would say 60% are fake accounts mixed with men following. I can speak only for myself, ( it’s mandatory to have a public account) but I comb through daily and delete and block followers. I also belong to a group that sends accounts that should be reported or blocked. I would love to have tons of videos to post to Instagram but I don’t get much gym video content as I don’t watch practice. My daughter is a level 10 gymnast and once she is recruitable or a year or two before I will start an exclusive Instagram / YouTube account for gym skills only..
Yes! It was crazy how mad some of the moms were when plum asked for exclusivity.

How are these “ambassadors” recruited? Is that the same as someone/company slipping into their DMs and or asking them to “collab”?

My daughter does not have a huge following at all, but she has been getting a
lot of requests to collab. That’s the term I see on her instagram. They say “they want you and can she collab(orate) I assume. It is against her college team’s policy, so this is not something she can do.

As far as being an “ambassador” if that is the same as what I’ve described above, I see no reason why it has to be exclusive. They only offer to send free items. It is not like they are getting paid a substantial amount. I also don’t see how the companies can expect exclusivity either. They are sending merchandise to get some exposure exclusive of a contract. It is cheap advertising. If what I’ve described is not what you are discussing, merely ignore my ignorance.

BTW, is there a difference between ambassador and influencer?

How are these “ambassadors” recruited? Is that the same as someone/company slipping into their DMs and or asking them to “collab”?

lot of requests to collab. That’s the term I see on her instagram. They say “they want you and can she collab(orate) I assume. It is against her college team’s policy, so this is not something she can do.

As far as being an “ambassador” if that is the same as what I’ve described above, I see no reason why it has to be exclusive. They only offer to send free items. It is not like they are getting paid a substantial amount. I also don’t see how the companies can expect exclusivity either. They are sending merchandise to get some exposure exclusive of a contract. It is cheap advertising. If what I’ve described is not what you are discussing, merely ignore my ignorance.

Here is what Snowflake Designs says about their Ambassadors (note that theirs only last for 6 months):
Snowflake Designs wants to pair up with amazing gymnasts who want to grow and promote Snowflake Designs by sharing their love for our brand through their social media channels. Each selected ambassador will run a 6-month campaign on social media.
Click here to watch our Ambassador Program Video and learn more about the program!
REQUIREMENTS:
  • Maintain at least 1,000 followers on at least one social media account.
  • Post at least 2 high-quality photos or videos with Snowflake Designs products every other week. Be creative! These posts don’t all need to be in the gym.
  • Use the Snowflake Designs social media hashtags: #snowflakeleotards, #snowflakedesigns, #snowleos
  • Link to the Snowflake Designs website and social media in your posts.
  • Refrain from being an ambassador for other leotard companies during your ambassadorship with Snowflake Designs. You can be an ambassador for other companies, even those relating to gymnastics (i.e. equipment companies), but we would prefer our ambassadors to only represent Snowflake Designs leotards during their ambassadorship.
  • Keep your social media profiles “Public” at all times.
  • Follow our social media posting guidelines including but not limited to:
    • Be respectful and positive.
    • Only post appropriate content.
    • Any inappropriate content on your account is not allowed.
    • The snowflake on our products must be visible in all photos or videos.
    • Models in photos and videos must be posed in a manner that maintains an appropriate image. For example, avoid images where the crotch of the leo is prominently displayed.
    • Continued training in gymnastics.
    • Have fun and love Snowflake Designs!
BENEFITS:
  • Receive 3 Snowflake Designs product boxes during the 6-month campaign.
  • Share a personalized discount code with your social media followers.
  • Grow as a social media influencer.

I think an "influencer" is a kid or person with many thousands of followers. They promote many different products and people buy the products because the mass following implies some kind of credibility. It's sort of like a quasi-celebrity status of sorts. "Ambassadors" are chosen to model a company's products. I think the company sends products for free in exchange for the ambassador posting an agreed upon number of posts modeling and tagging the product.

I just watched part of Athlete A including all the branding and marketing and child exploitation that went on, and I guess the other thing that really bugs me about some of these instagymnast accounts is that some of these accounts seem to be the exact opposite of the cultural change I personally would like to see happening in this sport. Photoshopping muscles, shameless self-promotion, and training at all costs both at home and in the gym even when kids are injured. The parents managing these accounts seem totally oblivious to the toxic culture, and some of the posts are flat out tone deaf. And then the companies selling the products are cheering these kids on through the instagram posts. It's yucky to me, and I don't want to buy their products--not that they care because these companies appear to be doing just fine without my business. To be clear, I am not talking about anyone on this thread's instagram accounts. They aren't all bad, but some of the accounts, including a few of the new ozone ambassadors, do not send a positive message in my opinion.

Just today I saw a multi post IG, where the first pic was one leo brand, then the next was another leo brand. Then the 3rd pic was the original leo brand, and the 4th pic was the other leo brand. Not even different posts. If I had a leo business, I would want to be exclusive, that’s why I don’t get it. And O being such a large company, they didn’t need huge IG accounts. 18/25 “new” ambassadors that already rep for at least one other leo company, & most of them do multiple leo companies. I like how Plum has ambassadors for a specified period of time (and they appear to be exclusive) and then they have new ambassadors for the next period of time. This actually makes sense to me.

Just today I saw a multi post IG, where the first pic was one leo brand, then the next was another leo brand. Then the 3rd pic was the original leo brand, and the 4th pic was the other leo brand. Not even different posts. If I had a leo business, I would want to be exclusive, that’s why I don’t get it. And O being such a large company, they didn’t need huge IG accounts. 18/25 “new” ambassadors that already rep for at least one other leo company, & most of them do multiple leo companies. I like how Plum has ambassadors for a specified period of time (and they appear to be exclusive) and then they have new ambassadors for the next period of time. This actually makes sense to me.
Plum hold on to all their ambassadors! They add to them.. they truly try and make it fun for the girls. They have tiktok contests, design contests, etc. And ozone mainly picked HUGE accounts band I agree that I find it odd to have mixed brands of pictures.

Plum hold on to all their ambassadors! They add to them.. they truly try and make it fun for the girls. They have tiktok contests, design contests, etc. And ozone mainly picked HUGE accounts band I agree that I find it odd to have mixed brands of pictures.
Isn't ozone tied to the chalk warrior thing? You can pay and have an "athlete" page? Or am I thinking about something else? That seems like a racket to me.

Isn't ozone tied to the chalk warrior thing? You can pay and have an "athlete" page? Or am I thinking about something else? That seems like a racket to me.
Something like that. Funny you should mention it, Chalk Warrior just released their ambassador picks and many are the same ones as Ozone. One girl has 7 leotard companies listed. I think I’m tired of seeing the same girls. No offense to anyone, but it’s so redundant.

Something like that. Funny you should mention it, Chalk Warrior just released their ambassador picks and many are the same ones as Ozone. One girl has 7 leotard companies listed. I think I’m tired of seeing the same girls. No offense to anyone, but it’s so redundant.
I couldn’t agree more. Quite a few are from region 8. Given the amount of time put into these instagrams, I initially assumed these kids were phenomenal. A lot of them are around my youngest daughter’s age. We’ve seen a few of these girls at regionals and other meets. They aren’t the top scorers. Interestingly, most of the top scorers don’t have these Instagram accounts. I’m not saying these kids aren’t “talented,” but I don’t see where they are deserving of representing every Leo brand under the sun other than they have a zillion followers. I would like to see some different kids for once. If ozone had 100 applicants for the 25 ambassador spots, I feel sure there were other qualified girls. I am still processing that there are groups where the Instagram parents all agree to make the same comments pretty much every single day on the Instagram posts. But I’m not surprised.

I think an "influencer" is a kid or person with many thousands of followers. They promote many different products and people buy the products because the mass following implies some kind of credibility. It's sort of like a quasi-celebrity status of sorts. "Ambassadors" are chosen to model a company's products. I think the company sends products for free in exchange for the ambassador posting an agreed upon number of posts modeling and tagging the product.

I just watched part of Athlete A including all the branding and marketing and child exploitation that went on, and I guess the other thing that really bugs me about some of these instagymnast accounts is that some of these accounts seem to be the exact opposite of the cultural change I personally would like to see happening in this sport. Photoshopping muscles, shameless self-promotion, and training at all costs both at home and in the gym even when kids are injured. The parents managing these accounts seem totally oblivious to the toxic culture, and some of the posts are flat out tone deaf. And then the companies selling the products are cheering these kids on through the instagram posts. It's yucky to me, and I don't want to buy their products--not that they care because these companies appear to be doing just fine without my business. To be clear, I am not talking about anyone on this thread's instagram accounts. They aren't all bad, but some of the accounts, including a few of the new ozone ambassadors, do not send a positive message in my opinion.

There will always be parents that will try to live through their children’s accomplishments, and will care more about fame and medals than the mental and physical well being of their child. And it’s appalling. There is a lot of blame to go around, but I believe those types of parents contributed to the toxic culture, and are the reason we will never fully be rid of it.

Those accounts with tens of thousands of followers (or more) make me uncomfortable. Seems like attention-hungry parents exploiting their kids. I think there are plenty of gymnast Instagram accounts that are totally fine, but personally I would never for my daughter. I think it teaches them the wrong things are important. (Likes, followers, sponsorships etc). There was even an Instagram mom who actually lost custody of her kids because she was exploiting them on social media. Some of them are out of control.

My daughter is a plum ambassador but I expect her to get booted soon since we don't post much. I dont feel like tagging plum in my horrible android phone photos when everyone else seems to have a professional photographer following then around 24/7
I don’t know how half these girls have time to practice gymnastics with the time spent taking dramatic action shots on the edge of a mountain, waterfall, cliff, statue, whatever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back