Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

can you have a backhandspring, back layout series in a level 8 USAG beam routine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gymnaSTICKs

just curious... is a backhandspring back layout series allowed? (lvl 8 beam)

TDiver

Jul 21, 2007
TN
Yes, actually i think you can. My old teamate competed it for level 8 last year as a level 8. I believe they changed the rules to where you can do D's but i think they count as C's.

All I know is that she competed it. And I wondered the same thing at the time.

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Yes, actually i think you can. My old teamate competed it for level 8 last year as a level 8. I believe they changed the rules to where you can do D's but i think they count as C's.
I thought that was the rule at 9?

To the best of my knowledge, no, you cannot compete a layout on beam at 8. You cannot compete any D (there may be an exception for dance D's, I'd have to check).

H

hammy

I'm pretty sure that D's can be competed--they're just counted as C's at level 8, and D's are D's at level 9, but i'm not 100% sure.

CoachL

Apr 9, 2007
it was allowed in years past because it was a "C". I believe this year the updated the code making it a D. I had most of my 8's doing it last year, but none this year. I'll ask the the beam coach I tend to forget most beam code :)

G

gymnaSTICKs

hmmm thanks for the responses, guys - everyone has different answers, so if anyone looks into it and has a solid response please let me know :]

jcggymnast

May 12, 2008
:):)hey yeah u can do a bhs layout step out in level 8 as usag rules u rele cant im a level eight and i an doing both layout step out andn bhs backtuck on the beam but i dont know for sure

CoachL

Apr 9, 2007
It was updated in the code this last off season. It is now a D and can no longer be done.

gymdog

Coach
Proud Relative
Former Gymnast
Jul 5, 2007
Same thing happened to the aerial, which was getting more common in L8 before it was changed to a D. You can't do Ds in L8 without penalty and a D in L9 is effectively counted as a C for connection purposes because there's no difficulty bonus and C+C qualifies for max connective so basically all a D can be counted as is a C. A "D" value beam acro skill like a layout will void the exercise in L8.

You can find this information in this PDF: http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2007part2-sect2-levreqtext.pdf, but here are the relevant sections:

Level 8:

dismounts & releases VOID exercise.
& no Value Part credit is given.

Level 9:
Connection Value

J

Jojogymgirl

IT CANNOT BE DONE!!!

my friend did a side aerial on beam last year, which is also a D (a layout step-out is a D) and got her entire routine VOIDED!!!

you can do D's at level 9, but they get C credit and no bonus for doing it on it's own since it is considered a C.

at level 8 YOU CANNOT DO D's. a backlayout is a D. ****however***** it gets connection value as a C not a D so that you cannot rack up all this bonus from it.

if you're an 8, DON'T DO IT!!!

C

Cari123

Hello
Where can I find a list of what an A, B C or D element/skill is?
Thanks

F

FlipStar

Backhandspring layout

:beam:from what I know by seeing the level 8's practice in their routines they do backhandspring backhandspring connected but they are training layouts as well.
-Emme (level 7 gymnast)

C

CamSeawind

You cannot, my friend was going to but then they changed the rules. She's now in level 9. Hope this helps...;)

LemonLime

Proud Parent
Jul 16, 2007
About 4 years ago, the layout stepout was valued as a C. Level 8s could do C acro skills and therefore there were some gymnasts who competed bhs/blo as their beam series at level 8.

Two years ago, the layout stepout on beam was upgraded to a D. Up until this year, only C acro was allowed at Level 8 so the layout stepout disappeared in Level 8 beam routines when the layout stepout became a D.

Beginning this season, the layout stepout is back to being valued as a C. Another change this season, however, is that level 8s no longer can do C acro on floor and beam. Therefore, the layout stepout continues not to be allowed at Level 8 (it is a C, Level 8s cannot do C acro) although for a different reason than in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Introductions 3
Vaasu Gymnast Forum 6
M Question & Answer 7