WAG can you help me find a video of a bail with a extra half turn?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I was looking through videos the other night and came across either a L10 or an NCAA competition bar routine that had the gymnast do an overshoot/bail and in the transition from the top to the lower rail, she did an extra half twist so that she was facing the opposite way as a traditional overshoot. I believe she landed in HS but I am not positive. I thought I bookmarked it but apparently I didn't and now I can't find it. Because I don't know the name of the skill, I can't find it by just searching on you tube either. I tried combinations of bail, overshoot, full, half, twist but came up empty.

I just thought it was a cool skill that I have never seen before and wanted to show dd.

coach molly, no - but that was cool!! does anyone do that skill currently?

The one I saw - the gymnast was facing the opposite way when completing the skill. So she came down between the bars, not on the "outside" of the low bar.

JBS, it could be that, but I really think it was just a twist, not a pak (flip). I know I am not explaining this right. Sorry. just a parent...

Coachmolly, that looks closer but it came from a HS swinging toward the low bar (as a regular pak or overshoot would)

Here is another video of a full twisting pak. I've never seen it land in handstand...but I guess it could? @dunno would be the one to ask.

OK, I just tried searching slow motion overshoot to see if I was really seeing an overshoot or a pak and found the video below. Look starting at 1:50. Is this a pak or is it an overshoot with full twist? I am not seeing the flipping of the pak but I may be getting confused by the twisting.

looking back at JBS's original video, I think that's the same as the slow mo. So I guess maybe that is what I saw. The flip of the pak was just lost in the twist in my severely untrained eyes.

Yes...that is a full twisting pak salto. [HASHTAG]#bhardwaj[/HASHTAG]

That looks like more of a straddle back type move rather than an overshoot. Pretty cool though. I hadn't seen a layout "straddle back". Let alone with a half. Very cool.

Coach 1234, it was like that but coming from a back giant swinging/face the low bar. The more I thought about it, it must be a pak because there has to be a flip to end between the bars. Well, the one I saw ended at hs but would have been b/t the bars if not hs.

i can't find it right now, but she is talking about a 1 1/2 twist between the bars. it was first done from a sole circle on the low bar and then the high bar and then later from a giant going in both directions.

the bail over low with full twist is called a "Strong".

the full twist Pak is of course a Bhardwaj.

and the barani between the bars from a reverse grip is called an Ahova (phonetic). Ezhova.

Last edited by a moderator:
the Burda. at 5:06. it was done facing out, in and on the low bar. it may take me more time to find it being done from a giant swing facing out and between the bars. it was last done in the 90's and i can't recall who it was at the moment.

Coach 1234, it was like that but coming from a back giant swinging/face the low bar. The more I thought about it, it must be a pak because there has to be a flip to end between the bars. Well, the one I saw ended at hs but would have been b/t the bars if not hs.

Can you post a video of what the skill usually looks like without the extra half twist? When you say bail, I'm thinking

To me, a bail with an extra half would be a pak salto with a full twist. There's a lot of variation in the hight gymnasts get on their pak saltos so if a gymnast did a really high one with a full twist that probably could've been what you saw.

what "Strong" did has never been done to a handstand. just fyi. :)

the Otto 1 is a Tsuk or snap down somi with a full twist. these are typically done by gymnasts that can't learn a back or front dismount.

Otto 2 is a Gaylord caught in regular grip. the Gaylord (Mitch) was caught in reverse grip. it's an arabian over the top of the bar to catch. you could also call it a 1/2 Kovacs. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back