Can you REALLY be deducted for...?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Ok, so I know that this might seem like a bit of a ridiculous question, but I always thought that you would get deductions in competition if your underwear shows.

I've heard that from quite a few gymnasts and coaches, but when I mentioned it to MY coach, he thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. He's a judge, and he was just like 'no, it looks unsightly, but you wouldn't be deducted for it' and he also said that in WAG you probably WOULD be deducted for it, but not in trampoline.

I'm just interested to know what other people have heard, (and also quite interested to hear some of the more obscure things people have been TOLD they would be deducted for - nail polish, hair, etc. we had a great time telling the tiny ones that you could get deducted if the judges heard you saying certain words, like trampoline or somersault, at ANY point on competition day. They figured it out after about 15 minutes, but it was hilarious while it lasted ;) ) and if anyone knows what the actual rules are about this?! (The underwear thing, not stopping people from saying trampoline!)

It just depends on the judge at a local comp they probably will not deduct and at a state comp they might but if they do it will only be .1

I don't know anything about trampoline in the UK, but it would be an apparel deduction in WAG in the US. The judges will usually warn the coach if they see something like in warm ups or whatever, though. It's not taken often, most coaches make sure the kids don't have non-neutral underwear showing.

I don't think it is a deduction. I had a look in the trampoline code of points on the BG website and the competition handbook and I can't find it mentioned so I don't think it is a deduction in trampolining.

One thing that I have heard is that you get deductions for use of profanity and I have heard people in Uni comps crashing out while muttering things like "sh....ugar."

I don't think it is a deduction. I had a look in the trampoline code of points on the BG website and the competition handbook and I can't find it mentioned so I don't think it is a deduction in trampolining.

One thing that I have heard is that you get deductions for use of profanity and I have heard people in Uni comps crashing out while muttering things like "sh....ugar."
Swearing is definitely a deduction, and a big one... 0.3 per judge per incidence. I can't imagine getting deducted for that at a Uni comp though! I really struggled with that when I started competing though, I am used to training in an all adult environment and if you're about to land on your head, nobody cares what you shout as you do it, and if you don't say it, someone else will be saying it for you! When I started competing I suddenly had to learn to just keep it shut or squeak something unintelligible if things aren't working out.

I had one of my girls that I coach at Uni ask me if she would be deducted if she swore in Arabic, I struggled to answer that one!

I'm not surprised to hear that swearing is a deduction. It seems quite reasonable really.

It is pretty funny hearing people trying to maintain the self-control to avoid it while hurtling towards a crash landing though. It just seems so incongruous to hear someone who is in fear of breaking their neck yelling out "fairycakes" and suchlike.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back