Parents Can you tell when a kid is trying?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I discussed it with her coach who decided to try a ‘one correction at a time’ approach and it was so successful that she started doing it with a couple of other girls too.

Basic strategy we all forget from time to time. Ask for one thing to change and you probably will see change (right or wrong) - ask for three changes and get none.

Hi. I think a great tool is videotaping, I have heard my daughter say oh I didn't know I was doing this or that until she watches the video. For some odd reason our gym doesn't like to use video but I videotape her just so I have it for memories and it ends up helping her.

I also agree coaching style makes a difference. A coach can work wonders with one kid but not get anywhere with another. I see dramatic difference in some kids who changed coaches - from struggling to outstanding.

Hi. I think a great tool is videotaping, I have heard my daughter say oh I didn't know I was doing this or that until she watches the video. For some odd reason our gym doesn't like to use video but I videotape her just so I have it for memories and it ends up helping
That is a shame the coaches don’t video. My daughter’s coaches do it all the time, even at meets, and show the girls immediately afterwards. She says it is so helpful!

Or should we prepare ourselves for multiple years at each level and her just getting further and further behind her peeps?

There really is no fall behind. Gymnastics is personal. Each gymnast had their own path.

So many things affect their path. Just take physical growth and puberty. It doesn’t happen at the same time or rate for all gymnasts.

Don’t compare your gymnasts trajectory to anyone else’s. They only comparison is to themselves. Are they improving still having fun.... then they are not behind

In most cases, "she's not trying" is lazy coach speak for "the formula I apply to other kids isn't working on her, and I choose to blame her rather than stray from my formula."

Kids who will genuinely not try when they are taking a turn are very very rare; when a kid looks like they aren't trying, usually it's because the whatever challenge they're struggling with is an invisible one, but that doesn't make it any less of a real challenge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back