WAG Can you use USAG compulsory music in optionals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so the USAG compulsory music is awful! But, just out of curiosity, can someone in JO use the compulsory (probably level 4 or 5, since it's longer) music in optionals, but with different choreography?

I would think they would be tired of it... and might need special permission (or have to pay for it even though the gym already has it).
Of course, this is just a guess.

I know in USAICG it is forbidden... Not sure about optionals. I don't know why you would want that though...
Yeah, it's just because I'm curious. I would NEVER want the compulsory music again! But, it would be cool to see ONE girl (NOT every child at the meet!) compete a routine with compulsory music, but with harder skills and better choreography.

Yeah, it's just because I'm curious. I would NEVER want the compulsory music again! But, it would be cool to see ONE girl (NOT every child at the meet!) compete a routine with compulsory music, but with harder skills and better choreography.
We have actually had girls do it for fun in practice. I wouldnt want it in a meet, but for just one practice - yah.

WHY?!?!?!

It should definitely NOT be allowed. In fact, there should be a very hefty fine ($1,000,000) and all USAG members involved in the incident, coaches and athletes included, should lose their membership. The member club should lose their membership as well and be closed for good.

The ultimate nightmare: continuing to use the compulsory music past its necessary lifespan. As a music major, I detest the quality of the mixing.

Ew.

As a music major, I detest the quality of the mixing.
Derailing the thread...

As someone who also has a BA in music, I'm being nosy. What is your primary instrument, and education, composition, performance, or something else?

And the quality of the compulsory music drives me nuts too.

Not sure about the answer to your question specifically, but my DD competed the L3 JO compulsory music/routine in Xcel Bronze (modified slightly to fit within the shorter time frame of Bronze). No other gym in our area did this, but it was never a problem.

Reactions: sce
WHY?!?!?!

It should definitely NOT be allowed. In fact, there should be a very hefty fine ($1,000,000) and all USAG members involved in the incident, coaches and athletes included, should lose their membership. The member club should lose their membership as well and be closed for good.

The ultimate nightmare: continuing to use the compulsory music past its necessary lifespan. As a music major, I detest the quality of the mixing.

Ew.
I know! The music is HORRIBLE! But, the idea just popped into my mind, and had no idea if it was allowed. Again, I WOULD NEVER USE THAT MUSIC AGAIN! But I was very curious, since more than one person can have the same optional music. Plus, I doubt the judges would like to hear the compulsory music when it isn't necessary, either. I was just imagining a level 8 using the level 4 music, and wondered if it was even allowed.

I think you can use it in Xcel because a) it is a USAG program and b) you are allowed to compete in both Xcel and JO - but otherwise WHY would an optional want to use it?!?! Choreography aside, it’s pretty terrible music. For the girls I coach, the best part about becoming an optional gymnast was getting to never have to use the compulsory music ever again.

I think you can use it in Xcel because a) it is a USAG program and b) you are allowed to compete in both Xcel and JO - but otherwise WHY would an optional want to use it?!?! Choreography aside, it’s pretty terrible music. For the girls I coach, the best part about becoming an optional gymnast was getting to never have to use the compulsory music ever again.
I know that! I HATE the compulsory music, but I just want to know if it is allowed, because I am curious! I would like to see someone more daring than me use the compulsory music in optionals, just once, to see how the judges, gymnasts and coaches from other teams, and parents would react.

Derailing the thread...

As someone who also has a BA in music, I'm being nosy. What is your primary instrument, and education, composition, performance, or something else?

And the quality of the compulsory music drives me nuts too.
I've been a drummer for about ten years now, but I also dabble a bit in other percussion. I also play the didgeridoo fairly often. I am ultra eclectic in my musical tastes and respect all artists and genres. However, the heaviest, most brutal death metal and very progressive, technical music always wins my heart.

I got my associates in electronic music, which is using digital audio workstations and recording software and hardware to compose music for film, television, video games, and other media. I took music theory courses every year, played in a number of performances and bands in many genres, helped many of my fellow students in collaborations, and basically solidified an already strong love for music in general. I loved it, but I just couldn't stand the general education requirements, which were entirely irrelevant to my major, and the cost of going to school nowadays is outrageous. Not to mention, I just didn't find it necessary to pursue further schooling since I knew a very large amount about music and using DAWs/recording software before even going to college. I still am very involved with music almost every day, but my passion is coaching, and I pour myself into that entirely.

Funny how things turn out, huh? ;)

I nominate Aero and LindyHopper to find our new music.
Hey @LindyHopper, LET'S DO IT!!!

WHY?!?!?!

Ew.
Ok, I posted before I read the replies. And not only do great minds think alike, har har, but I choked on my Christmas cookie. Shame on you.:p

I've wondered about this aswell!

I'm pretty sure the answer is Yes, you can. But what do I know :p

And my daughter has only been hearing the compulsory music for a few months now but whenever it comes on her and her teammates always cringe a bit.. You can see there not trying to show it but it gives me a good laugh!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back