Canadian girls qualifying for US regionals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bug's mom

Proud Parent
Quick caveat before I ask this question...I'm doing so on behalf of our group of not-always-CGM just out of curiosity, and not with any expectations that this becomes a real thing.

Coach has suggested that the girls will do a few US meets next year (we're thinking 2, maybe 3?) and we were curious...can Canadians qualify for regionals? Again, not hoping or striving to, just curious. And admittedly afraid to ask Coach. Coach is wonderful by the way, we're just trained to trust the process ;)

I don't see how that would work. The particular regionals would then have to be international meets and pull an international sanction from USAG.

USAG rules and policies say that a foreign athlete can participate in regionals if they reside in the US (I am paraphrasing, see Rules and Policies, page 23).

I don't see how that would work. The particular regionals would then have to be international meets and pull an international sanction from USAG.

USAG rules and policies say that a foreign athlete can participate in regionals if they reside in the US (I am paraphrasing, see Rules and Policies, page 23).

Awesome MeetDirector, thanks for the info. That would be tricky, wouldn't it?!

So, it looks to me that Canadian athletes that reside in Canada and compete some meets in the US would not meet the requirements of that section of the Rules; looks like the Canadian athletes would have to be living in the US and competing for a US club.

No we cannot qualify for regionals.

US gymnasts qualify to regionals by getting a certain score at their own state meets. We Canadians do not do state meets.

We had some foreign gymnasts in our gym (US) and they could qualify to States , Regionals and even JOs....but they couldn't be on the JO National Team if they placed top 4. They did medal in events and the AA. All of these gymnasts were current US residents with green cards.

I don't see why Canadian gymnasts would want to be at our regionals ( you'd have to qualify through states) Because it's really competition specific to our regions. I can see foreign gymnasts wanting to do some of the bigger invitational in the US though as those would be fun.

We had some foreign gymnasts in our gym (US) and they could qualify to States , Regionals and even JOs....but they couldn't be on the JO National Team if they placed top 4. They did medal in events and the AA. All of these gymnasts were current US residents with green cards.

I don't see why Canadian gymnasts would want to be at our regionals ( you'd have to qualify through states) Because it's really competition specific to our regions. I can see foreign gymnasts wanting to do some of the bigger invitational in the US though as those would be fun.
Thank you bookworm, appreciate the insight. Just want to reiterate that we hadn't any aspirations we were just curious how that works.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back