Canadian Nationals live streaming this week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks, Bog. We have two girls from our gym there..... Very glad for the link! Hope you make it to see some in person.

I love the live streaming, but the buffering is bad. I missed almost an entire bar routine.

but, when you can't get there, it is lovely to have.

I love the live streaming, but the buffering is bad. I missed almost an entire bar routine.

but, when you can't get there, it is lovely to have.
I agree, when it works it is awesome. But some times it would freeze and literally leave a gymmie hanging in the air! It is amazing how small the audience is, when they panned around at the end of the comp today I realised that there were probably 200 people watching and that was it.

I have to say the camera angle on floor was cutting off so many passes I never knew if they landed them at all...

Guess you can't get it all unless you just go live.

So Bog, why are the scores so low for the first day of competition in the Sr and Jr competition, and seem to go way up for the Novice group today? I admit I am clueless as to how the Canadian system is structured so any info is appreciated:)

It is amazing how small the audience is, when they panned around at the end of the comp today I realised that there were probably 200 people watching and that was it.

I noticed that too. It seemed like it was a bigger audience at provincials. A bit sad, given it's such an important event. I would have loved to have gone to watch, had I only scheduled my life differently this year!

Juniors and seniors use actual FIG skills and scoring. I believe the novice level use a modified FIG, that may affect the scores. Either that or the judges are being harsh. Though as long as it is across the board it is fine. Do remember that the judges at nationals are the very best in the country, chances are none of the Novice girls have competed before judges of this calibre before, that can mean much lower scores.

I noticed that too. It seemed like it was a bigger audience at provincials. A bit sad, given it's such an important event. I would have loved to have gone to watch, had I only scheduled my life differently this year!
I went to US and Canadian Olympic trials last year, the difference is audience numbers was stunning, from a stadium full to five sets of bleachers in an Quebec gym!! I was hoping to get there at the end of the week, but children and life are conspiring against me. Not looking good right now.

Juniors and seniors use actual FIG skills and scoring. I believe the novice level use a modified FIG, that may affect the scores. Either that or the judges are being harsh. Though as long as it is across the board it is fine. Do remember that the judges at nationals are the very best in the country, chances are none of the Novice girls have competed before judges of this calibre before, that can mean much lower scores.

Actually the novice girls had the higher scores so that's why I was puzzled...

Ah then they were using modified FIG, the skills have higher scores. You should see the scores in pre novice, they get 16's and are doing timers on vault. The Canadian system is very odd at times. Wouldn't it be less confusing if we all used exactly the same system. I struggle to understand why they modify FIG, yes the scores would be lowers, but what else would the effect be. Please excuse my confusing post!!

Ooh, that's kinda cruel...they get all these high scores as Novices and then, BAM , when they're a Jr or Sr , they get hit with reality! Thanks for the info Bog! When I first saw the scores I thought the Novices were that much better than the others , but not so.

It is worth digging up some videos on youtube. The system is interesting. As you say if they move from Novice to Junior or senior it is a nasty shock.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back