WAG Canadian Provincial Program changing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I read on another gymnastics forum that the Canadian provincial programs will or may be changing to align with the USA's JO program. Has anyone up here heard that?

Does anyone know if it would be the rest of Canada that is different from Ontario, or just Ontario or what?

And where would one look to find such info?

Thanks in advance. Bogwoppit, do you know anything? Anyone else?

I haven't heard anything about it, but really I don't think it would make sense if it's true. They're two different programs! I hope they won't change.

I'm pretty sure Ontario follows the USA's JO program, but no other province in Canada does.

I'm pretty sure Ontario follows the USA's JO program, but no other province in Canada does.

We don't. There are 9 levels yes, but there are no compulsory levels like in the US and so many other huge differences. We do have the Ontario Developmental Program (ODP) which is similar to TOPS but without the skills, and only for 5-8 year olds.

7 and 8 year olds can only compete without "scores". They get a range score and a gold, silver, bronze or Merit sticker for each event and all around and no scores are ever flashed until they are 9 years old.

I believe in the US girls can compete as young as 5 years old doing the compulsary routines.

7 and 8 year olds can only compete without "scores". They get a range score and a gold, silver, bronze or Merit sticker for each event and all around and no scores are ever flashed until they are 9 years old.

I really like this design! I wish the US would do something like this.

I really like this design! I wish the US would do something like this.

It's good and bad. The girls at this age therefore, are really only competing against themselves, because every girl in the group might get a gold on bars, for example. The downside is that there are only invitationals until the girls turn 9 years old when they can compete to qualify for the provincial championships.

I would love to see a system where 5 and 6 year olds can also compete in routines competitions (currently they can only compete in ODP) with the certificate awards, and maybe have some kind of transition program for 7 year olds, then allow them to compete for provincials at age 8. (Which they can do in every other province but Ontario).

Because at 8 they can compete at the Pre-Novice National level, so why not be able to compete for Provincials?

That went kind of far off, but yes, the certificates are good for the little ones. :)

Ontario will change to adopt the USAG system completely. The rest of the provinces and territories will continue to use the CPP, Canadian Provincial Program.

Bog - do you know why Ontario is moving to the USAG system? I guess that it makes cross-border competition easier e.g. Tour. However, is that the only (sufficient?) motivation to adopt someone else's system?
New Ontario parent who is curious why the change is occuring...

Ontario will change to adopt the USAG system completely. The rest of the provinces and territories will continue to use the CPP, Canadian Provincial Program.

You really thought that short answer would suffice a curious gymmom like me???

:)

So adopting the entire system including the compulsory level routines, and the same age divisions? Will the scoring change too? What will happen to ODP? Will it change to the same as tops? How will it work with Easterns?

Don't hate me for the questions, lol. And how and where do you find this all out? Oh and when will the changes take place?

P.S. Is there a limit to the questions in one post that will get a member banned?:D

This is really all that I know. OGF is the place to ask. I assume it is to make it easier to compete in the US and for US teams to compete in Ontario. I understand that it will be the complete system including compulsories. Also the USAG system is changing next year, so I imagine it will be the new USAG system that will be implemented. Which means L6, similar to old L7) will be optional in nature. The levels below that will be compulsory.

Gymbrooke might be another place to ask, not many members there, but it is a place to ask for Ontario gym info. Though your coaches must know about this change.

Not sure if this will affect the PNN system, or whether that will continue, as the whole of the country has used it for many years.

Checked the OGF website pretty thoroughly and couldn't find anything relevant, other than a nomination form to a working committee which was to look at the issue. One of the things the working group was to examine is what changes are needed to be made to the JO system to make it work in Ontario.
It is hard to find up to date information on that site though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back